Boss Unmuzzled Bismuth load dissection and pattern performance for pheasants

Joe Hunter

12 GA 2 3/4" Boss Unmuzzled Bismuth load, pheasant
After purchasing two boxes (20 rounds/box @ $35/box + $10 shipping and tax = $87) of the Boss Unmuzzled 12-gauge 2 ¾-inch 1 ¼-ounces of #4 Bismuth load online from Boss, I dissected and patterned these shot shells to assess their component consistency and patterning performance.

I cut open five shells, from the same lot number as the shells to be patterned, and the components (powder and shot) were weighed, counted, and measured for consistency.

Here are my findings from the dissections.

12 GA 2 3/4" Boss Unmuzzled Bismuth load
1 1/4 oz #4 Bismuth (192 pellets) @ 1350 fps

PELLET COUNT / WEIGHT (grains) (1 ¼ ounce = 546.9 gr)
195 / 552.9 gr
194 / 553.3 gr
193 / 553.9 gr
190 / 544.2 gr
187 / 541.1 gr
Aver. 191.8 pellets / 549.08 gr

PELLET SIZE (25 pellets, 5 pellets/shell) (#4 pellet diameter = .130”)
.138”, .137”, .137”, .136”, .135”, .135”, .134”, .134”, .133”, .133”, .133”, .133”, .133”, .132”, .131”, .131”, .130”, .128”, .127”, .127”, .127”, .126”, .126”, .126”, .123”
Aver. pellet diameter/.1314”

POWDER / SHELL (grains)
27.7 gr
27.7 gr
27.6 gr
27.5 gr
27.4 gr
Aver. 27.58 gr

PATTERNS / BOSS UNMUZZLED BISMUTH LOAD
The pheasant load patterning was done with a Browning Citori 12-gauge w/ 28-inch barrels and using Briley flush Invector-plus IC (.011” constriction) and IM (.025” constriction) chokes. The listed constrictions are from a bore gauge.

The 30- and 40-yard (muzzle to target) pattern data is the result of hits registered in a 30-inch post-shot inscribed circle from five separate pattern shots.

Boss Unmuzzled Bismuth 12ga 2 ¾” 1 ¼ oz #4 Bi (192 pellets)
30 yards / Briley flush Invector-plus IC choke
Patterns
Aver. 150.0 (78.12%)

Boss Unmuzzled Bismuth 12ga 2 ¾” 1 ¼ oz #4 Bi (192 pellets)
40 yards / Briley flush Invector-plus IM choke
Patterns
Aver. 127.6 (66.45%)

So… How does the Boss Unmuzzled Bismuth load’s performance compare to some other lead and steel pheasant loads? Well, here are a few more of my pattern numbers using the same gun and chokes as above for comparison.

PATTERNS w/ Briley flush Invector-plus chokes
30 yards / IC choke / Fed. Game-Shok 2 ¾” 1 ¼ oz #5 lead (224 pellets) / pattern 173 (77%)
30 yards / IC choke / Reload (Unique) 2 ¾” 1 ¼ oz #5 lead (210 pellets) / pattern 177 (84%)

30 yards / IC choke / Rem. Sportsman 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #4 steel (218 pellets) / pattern 202 (93%)
30 yards / IC choke / Win. Xpert 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #3 steel (162 pellets) / pattern 132 (81%)
30 yards / IC choke / Rem. Sportsman 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #2 steel (139 pellets) / pattern 129 (93%)
40 yards / IM choke / Fed. Game-Shok 2 ¾” 1 ¼ oz #5 lead (224 pellets) / pattern 149 (67%)
40 yards / IM choke / Reload (Unique) 2 ¾” 1 ¼ oz #5 lead (210 pellets) / pattern 174 (83%)

40 yards / IM choke / Rem. Sportsman 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #4 steel (218 pellets) / pattern 165 (76%)
40 yards / IM choke / Win. Xpert 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #3 steel (162 pellets) / pattern 121 (75%)
40 yards / IM choke / Rem. Sportsman 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #2 steel (139 pellets) / pattern 114 (82%)

Now you can be the judge, good luck!Shotshell, Boss Unmuzzled Bismuth, 12ga 2.75-inch #4 Bi.JPGShotshell, Boss Unmuzzled Bismuth, Brn Citori 12ga 2.75-inch #4 Bi.JPGPattern, BOSS Unmuzzled Bismuth, 12ga 2.75 1.25 oz #4, Citori, IC @ 30yds.JPGPattern, BOSS Unmuzzled Bismuth, 12ga 2.75 1.25 oz #4, Citori, IM @ 40yds.JPG

I don't know how to judge this, but I'm really thankful that you shot these shells and presented your results for the rest of us. It'd really be nice to put the numbers up against other bismuth such as Kent, but I realize shotgun shells don't grow on trees.

I am not sure if you have ever shot Boss in the field or were just doing this for data? But I can tell you first hand that out of a 20ga or 28ga Boss #5's, 4's & 3/5 combo are lethal on pheasants!! The group of guys I hunt with on a regular basis usually 5-7 guys over the course of the season all any of us shoot is Boss. We have shot every brand of shell and everything from lead to straight tungsten to mixes and the Boss shells just flat out, perform better than anything any of us have ever shot. This is just my opinion and the opinion of the guys I know and hunt with but none of us will shoot anything else.

Very interesting, Joe!

I've shot a good amount of Boss shells...1 ounce #5 in 16 gauge. I'm very pleased with their performance.

So $2 a shot.....enough said. If I shot those, I would be spending more on shells than gas to go hunting. I am pretty thrifty with my funds, plus I hunt private ground in Iowa, so I will continue with my 1.25 oz of lead 5s. I honestly believe the shells have little to do with my hitting/missing birds. Now if I was under a non-tox requirement, that might change things. Can I assume that no one would shoot those where lead is OK to use...except for waterdog and his boys??? Nice work on the research JH!

Just to clarify a bit, it isn't that I shoot an extortionary about of shells, maybe 4-6 boxes a year, but my drive to hunt is usually under 20 miles...round trip, a very cost efficient activity for me! I reload my shot shells, and often pick-up the components at gun shows and trade casting lead for shot, so my shells might be closer to 50 cents per, than north of $2.

Last edited:
So $2 a shot.....enough said. If I shot those, I would be spending more on shells than gas to go hunting. I am pretty thrifty with my funds, plus I hunt private ground in Iowa, so I will continue with my 1.25 oz of lead 5s. I honestly believe the shells have little to do with my hitting/missing birds. Now if I was under a non-tox requirement, that might change things. Can I assume that no one would shoot those where lead is OK to use...except for waterdog and his boys??? Nice work on the research JH!
I bought a couple boxes for my trip to SD last year. I only used them where I couldn't shoot lead. However, in my very limited set of data, they performed very well. I'll use them again next year where non-tox is required.

When I got my 16 gauge Boss, they were $300 for 200 shells...no tax...free shipping. $1.50/shell.

But, I think they went up to $320 for 200 shells. Not too shabby for non-tox.

Just to clarify a bit, it isn't that I shoot an extortionary about of shells, maybe 4-6 boxes a year, but my drive to hunt is usually under 20 miles...round trip, a very cost efficient activity for me! I reload my shot shells, and often pick-up the components at gun shows and trade casting lead for shot, so my shells might be closer to 50 cents per, than north of $2.

Enjoy your private opportunities while they are available to you. We all have seen too many changes for our prime hunting land.

Thanks Joe, that’s great data. I shot some 12ga Boss 1-1/4oz #5’s this season and had very good results. I bought a case after the season and my plan is to shoot it anytime I’m even in the area where non-tox is required. It’s a hassle to change back and forth and some properties are even split by a road or fenceline. It preformed well enough I don’t feel it was a significant drop off from lead. With steel I was always thinking I was at a big disadvantage compared to lead. I also don’t plan to buy any more lead (I have quite a bit) because I think the day is coming where non-tox will be required on all public land.

Of course after I bought my case now they have a new buffered load called WarChief coming out that they claim patterns even better!

Remy, the reason we shoot them is we hunt 100% public land and with most public land being Non-tox we wanted to find something that worked well and wouldn't require switching shells from lead to non-tox if going from walk-in/Ihap/WIA land to state & federal ground.

Thanks Joe. That would appear to be a gun/choke/load combination that would kill pheasants very nicely. Other than one shell I'm aware of that had no wad, I'm impressed by BOSS's load consistency.

Remy, I shoot lead when I can, but I do know 1 guy (& have heard of others) who shoots non-tox all the time. Reasons I've heard are that they only want to bring one type of shell (switching is undesirable for various reasons), they want to be able to shoot a duck, or they don't like distributing lead throughout the world for environmental reasons. I can't fathom shooting shells that cost easily twice as much & in most cases are less effective than lead, but whatever. 🤷‍♂️

We have shot every brand of shell and everything from lead to straight tungsten to mixes and the Boss shells just flat out, perform better than anything any of us have ever shot. This is just my opinion and the opinion of the guys I know and hunt with but none of us will shoot anything else.
I've shot the boss shells for 2 seasons. I've bagged a good number of birds with them. I had one blooper load that cost me a pheasant. I like the company, and the fact that they talk openly about research they've done in terms of patterning their shells, metallurgy, etc. I think they had a big push onto the scene because they started and are rooted in waterfowling where non-tox is required. Starting a marketing campaign of bismuth vs. steel is the thing dreams are made of. It's like coaching the state champs against the Little Sisters of the Poor, not much drama in that game, and a guaranteed outcome. Now saying that boss shells flat out perform better than any lead or tungsten shell your group has ever shot, begs the question, has your group ever shot any lead or tungsten shells before? :unsure: I say this lightheartedly and with respect to your hunting experience, just know that shotshell performance, assuming components are on an equal level, comes down to density of shot. I definitely shoot lead when I can.

P.S. Waterdog, as you've noted several times you shoot a 28g on pheasants, that's pretty impressive to me!

The standard for non-tox for me is Kent Tungsten Impact. Bought many a box of ten at close out price of $12. #1 geese #5 ducks up on the Canadian prairie. Before non-tox it was copper plated #2 for geese #5 for ducks in 1 3/8 oz.12ga Reloads. We were deadly and birds were plentiful. It was retriever heaven for over 35 years. My experience with Boss is very good and the company is the real deal. Shoot the best you can afford. God bless the USA and Canada. Imagine mallards quacking, geese honking, coyotes howling and bull elk bugling all within five minutes. Back to Boss (y) (y)(y)

I've shot the boss shells for 2 seasons. I've bagged a good number of birds with them. I had one blooper load that cost me a pheasant. I like the company, and the fact that they talk openly about research they've done in terms of patterning their shells, metallurgy, etc. I think they had a big push onto the scene because they started and are rooted in waterfowling where non-tox is required. Starting a marketing campaign of bismuth vs. steel is the thing dreams are made of. It's like coaching the state champs against the Little Sisters of the Poor, not much drama in that game, and a guaranteed outcome. Now saying that boss shells flat out perform better than any lead or tungsten shell your group has ever shot, begs the question, has your group ever shot any lead or tungsten shells before? :unsure: I say this lightheartedly and with respect to your hunting experience, just know that shotshell performance, assuming components are on an equal level, comes down to density of shot. I definitely shoot lead when I can.

P.S. Waterdog, as you've noted several times you shoot a 28g on pheasants, that's pretty impressive to me!
Bob - Yes we have all shot lead and tungsten and I guess I should have worded my response better. For the cost of the shell and not having to deal with the hassle of switching all the time if walking IHAP or WIA land and then hunting state or federal land it's a no brainer. I will say that yes guys I hunt with would rather shoot lead, but have made the switch due to the hassle of switching. We have been checked numerous times in the last couple of years in IA and some of the guys that used to shoot lead had to sweat a little because they couldn't remember if they had lead on them when we got checked. Needless to say those same guys all shoot boss now. I am not saying it's better than everything on the market, all I was trying to say is that the guys I hunt with we have found them to be just as effective if not better than most lead and tungsten loads. I used to shoot Hexi-X which is a tungsten hybrid and it worked great but for the cost I just couldn't justify it anymore. I looked last season and it was up to $60-65 dollars a box for 20ga and almost $70 for 28ga.

After shooting my new A400 28ga 3", I don't know if I will even shoot my 20ga again. The new 3" beretta is a game changer if your looking for a 28ga. Wish they were cheaper but I did trade in a 20ga 686 silver pigeon to take the sting out of the new A400.

I gotcha, and the balance of price point and ballistic efficiency makes a lot of sense, especially if you don't want to go with the hassle of switching. For me right now I still switch because in MN most of the spots I hunt allow lead. When I go to Iowa I pack all bismuth. The only thing I'd point out in your above quote "just as effective if not better than most lead and tungsten loads." I think ballistic data would contradict you there. But as you said when you add in price per shell it's far better value than tungsten, and although lead is cheaper and ballistically superior, you don't have to worry about Mr. Green jeans fining you for an accidental shell on Federal land. I'd like to say I'll carry a 28ga. someday for wild roosters, but I'm afraid my shooting will never quite get there!

I gotcha, and the balance of price point and ballistic efficiency makes a lot of sense, especially if you don't want to go with the hassle of switching. For me right now I still switch because in MN most of the spots I hunt allow lead. When I go to Iowa I pack all bismuth. The only thing I'd point out in your above quote "just as effective if not better than most lead and tungsten loads." I think ballistic data would contradict you there. But as you said when you add in price per shell it's far better value than tungsten, and although lead is cheaper and ballistically superior, you don't have to worry about Mr. Green jeans fining you for an accidental shell on Federal land. I'd like to say I'll carry a 28ga. someday for wild roosters, but I'm afraid my shooting will never quite get there!
Bob- You would be really surprised at how effective a 28 is. It really isn't any different than a 20/16 or 12 you just loose some pellet count but if your on the bird your on it. I had no issues last year in SD late december after xmas taking down pheasants on public ground out to 40yds with my 28. I will say that I am not the type of guy that shoots all year, a matter of fact is that it drives a couple of the guys I hunt crazy knowing I don't shoot any of my shotguns after the season ends. I just pick them up on opening day and start shooting, I guess it's kind of like riding a bike for me. If and when you decide to go the 28 route, I highly recommend you give the A400 3" upland a look. It does come with a steep price tag but is cheaper than the ethos by $4-500. You will be suprised at the weight and how effective it is on wild birds especially when you put the right shells in it!

Back