Boss shotshells?

Awesome turkey that young man took. Bravo to him. For turkeys, I use either the Magnum Blends or Hevi-18 shells from Hevi Shot.
I just cannot see using anything else due how they perform.

Did anyone here use the Boss ammo for pheasant hunting after the thread was created? If so, what do you think? I have a mixed case I bought for waterfowl but would like to try them on pheasants this fall. Any suggestions?

Did anyone here use the Boss ammo for pheasant hunting after the thread was created? If so, what do you think? I have a mixed case I bought for waterfowl but would like to try them on pheasants this fall. Any suggestions?
I used them most of last season & really liked them. 1 oz of #4 shot.

I haven't hunted with Bismuth yet but I will this year. I bought a case of Kent Bismuth for my old A5 16 that I will use this year. I am going to some waterfowl shows and Boss is supposed to have a booth. If they have any kind of show special, I might pick up some to try.

I quit hunting lead several years ago and switched primarily to Boss. It works great. Did a little mentally masturbatory switching between sizes, and settled on 6s or 5s at pheasants (16 ga).

F
I quit hunting lead several years ago and switched primarily to Boss. It works great. Did a little mentally masturbatory switching between sizes, and settled on 6s or 5s at pheasants (16 ga).
glf you mentioned the 16ga. I’m torn between using my TriStar O/U 20g, 26” barrels or my Franchi Affinity 3 in 12g. All my Boss is in 12ga. If I hunt with the 20ga what shot do you all recommend and should I go lead or bismuth?

F

glf you mentioned the 16ga. I’m torn between using my TriStar O/U 20g, 26” barrels or my Franchi Affinity 3 in 12g. All my Boss is in 12ga. If I hunt with the 20ga what shot do you all recommend and should I go lead or bismuth?

5s or 6s.

Last season I shot Boss 2 3/4" 5s 12ga for pheasants. Outstanding shell. Very few cripples compared to steel. Misses are misses. Kills are kills. By the end of season 3 others in my group were using the same shell. All 3 were equally impressed as me. You'll have to tighten your choke pattern as these shells pattern and kill like lead. Pattern your gun. At 60 yrs, I'm going to a 20ga with Boss 3" 5s. YouTube has tons of videos on Boss shells. Some people think the price is a bit high. I don't feel that way. You can only purchase on their website. I've ordered shells and swag. Ship within in hours of order if merchandise is in stock. Excellent company. All USA made. Biodegradable wads. I highly recommend these shells.

Last year I went through to find a good non toxic shell and I wasn't very impressed with the boss patterning. They had a lot more fliers and clumping than I expected. But I hear good things from people so I haven't fully written them off. The new "warchief" is buffered so I'm hoping that might bring them back into a good patter for my guns. Anyone try the new stuff yet?

F

I always recommend lead if possible. 6s if all shots under 35-40 yds. Otherwise 5s. Bismuth is great stuff too, if you want/need non-tox. 5s if all shots under 35-40 yds. Otherwise 4s. Regardless of shot material or size, limit straight-away shots to 30 yds. Minimum 1 oz load, unless you're shooting pen reared pseudo roosters. Then a 2-1/2" .410 with 7.5s will do. If pen reared hens, .22 rat/snake shot will be fine, but don't tell anyone about the hens.

I've had good luck with Boss and Kent bismuth. Hevi-brand products seem like snake oil to me, and they have been caught putting out sub-par shells way too many time for me to buy any of their stuff. Of course now federal and winchester are both offering bismuth shells. The federal ones price point seems like a joke when I've seen them in stores. They put a picture of rinella on the box and add $20 to the pricetag. I'll stick with boss and kent.

Back