Boss choke recommendation for Benelli

JPH

Hi all, I am looking for a recommendation on what choke to start with for patterning some 20 gauge Boss 11/8 oz #4. I shoot a benelli m1 and m2. I thought I would start with a Full and go from there.
Has anybody here done any pattern work with a Benelli and the Boss ammo? Thank for any insights.

M1 is mobil isnt it? We patterned boss extensively trying to get a good duck pattern with a mobil choke Beretta. We tried boss 1 1/8 4, and 3/5.

These are what I have from notes.
40yd patterns. factory chokes
Modified- #4 66% extremely blotchy with big holes. #3/5 69% tight core and extremely blotchy in mid and fringe
Full- #4 82% tight core, extremely blotchy. #3/5 80% tight core, extremely blotchy. (Lots of small holes- possibly fracturing)

40yd hevishot extreme range choke
#4- 91% bingo
#3/5 80% thin on fringe- blotchy

Just going off of memory, i dont think any of them were a good pattern for phesant going away shots. Tons of holes and very uneven patterns. Maybe "bingo" was good, i dont remember it off the top of my head.. must be a reason I wrote that. I actually probably saved "bingo" pattern paper somewhere, I usually do when I finally settle on a combo. I will look tomorrow if i remember.

I can count out 1 1/8 of boss #4 shot if you need me to, to figure out the percentages. Should be about 180 pellets though.

M1 is mobil isnt it? We patterned boss extensively trying to get a good duck pattern with a mobil choke Beretta. We tried boss 1 1/8 4, and 3/5.

These are what I have from notes.
40yd patterns. factory chokes
Modified- #4 66% extremely blotchy with big holes. #3/5 69% tight core and extremely blotchy in mid and fringe
Full- #4 82% tight core, extremely blotchy. #3/5 80% tight core, extremely blotchy. (Lots of small holes- possibly fracturing)

40yd hevishot extreme range choke
#4- 91% bingo
#3/5 80% thin on fringe- blotchy

Just going off of memory, i dont think any of them were a good pattern for phesant going away shots. Tons of holes and very uneven patterns. Maybe "bingo" was good, i dont remember it off the top of my head.. must be a reason I wrote that. I actually probably saved "bingo" pattern paper somewhere, I usually do when I finally settle on a combo. I will look tomorrow if i remember.

I can count out 1 1/8 of boss #4 shot if you need me to, to figure out the percentages. Should be about 180 pellets though.
Thanks for the info. Yes, M1 is Mobil choke system. M2 is the crio choke.
No need to count pellets. Maybe I’ll try my M2 and start with the IM.

Probably a good choice. We do have one benelli with crio plus in the arsenal but have not tried boss with it yet, it patterned my hand load of 1oz 4s very well with a carlsons white wing IM choke so I think you will end up with a decent pattern with some work.

I have yet to see an actual good BOSS pattern yet in any gun combo we have tried, so dont get too caught up on it. The shells do kill very well, but thats just the difference between bismuth and steel. Youll get a workable combo though. Good luck in the field!

I did some patterning with Carlson's Mod and Full chokes this weekend in my gun. At 35 yards (just the distance I chose for my average shot) I had good spread with the Mod choke, and that would be my choice if it weren't for the holes in the pattern. We're talking 8" holes with no shot in the pattern. I then tried the full and it patterned super well, just in a full choke spread... I am a notorious choke swapper, and need to try to just shoot one choke, but I like messing around too much. I'll be running the full on my next hunt and taking a few extra moments to get settled on the birds. Again, if it weren't for the holes in the pattern, the overall spread was money. I only shot 1 shell though. Should have tested more to get an average.

I did some patterning with Carlson's Mod and Full chokes this weekend in my gun. At 35 yards (just the distance I chose for my average shot) I had good spread with the Mod choke, and that would be my choice if it weren't for the holes in the pattern. We're talking 8" holes with no shot in the pattern. I then tried the full and it patterned super well, just in a full choke spread... I am a notorious choke swapper, and need to try to just shoot one choke, but I like messing around too much. I'll be running the full on my next hunt and taking a few extra moments to get settled on the birds. Again, if it weren't for the holes in the pattern, the overall spread was money. I only shot 1 shell though. Should have tested more to get an average.
Was this with an M1 or M2? And which shell?
Thx

Apologies, I should have clarified. Not a Benelli gun, and I just see now you were asking about 20ga. Two points off for me. To get the answers you're looking for you need to shoot your gun. Every gun, choke, and shell is slightly different. I was shooting a 12ga SX4 I purchased last week off a fellow member. M and F Carlsons tubes with Boss 1 1/4oz 4's. I personally suspect the sweet spot for Boss bismuth at 35 or so yards (MY assumed average shot distance) would be an Improved Modified. Out of my O/U that choke is the ticket. This would be .715 - .705 diameter depending on the tube.

Apologies, I should have clarified. Not a Benelli gun, and I just see now you were asking about 20ga. Two points off for me. To get the answers you're looking for you need to shoot your gun. Every gun, choke, and shell is slightly different. I was shooting a 12ga SX4 I purchased last week off a fellow member. M and F Carlsons tubes with Boss 1 1/4oz 4's. I personally suspect the sweet spot for Boss bismuth at 35 or so yards (MY assumed average shot distance) would be an Improved Modified. Out of my O/U that choke is the ticket. This would be .715 - .705 diameter depending on the tube.
Thanks for the clarification. I plan on patterning my Boss 20 ammo in my M2 20ga in the next couple weeks. I’ll report my findings once I do.

So I finally had time to pattern the Boss 20gauge, 3”, 1 1/8oz, #4, through my Benelli M2, Crio chokes. Pattern at 40 yds.
Full choke averaged 142 pellets in a 30” circle. A little blotchy, but not bad. Boss claims 174 pellets for 1 1/8 oz of 4 shot. That gives about an 82% pattern.
IM averaged 135 pellets. Maybe a bit more blotchy. It would still kill birds IMO. 78% patterns.
I was looking into these for pheasant in areas where non-toxic shot is required. I’d say either choke set up would work.

Back