Books!!

For the Love of a Dog, a selection of classic bird dog stories edited by Darren Brown

This is a good one if you want to read the old pieces on pointing dogs. I got it as a gift and although I hunt with a retriever, they are really good stories. Some of them really pull on your heartstrings and get a little mist in your eyes.

I've got one really bad fault, too many books started at the same time! Right now I'm reading Great Plains by Ian Frazier and The Fragrance of Grass by Guy de la Valdene. Maybe a few others as well....

91Red--I don't know of an index for Gray's but there probably is one; if all else fails, I would contact the editor of Gray's via the website. It would be worth the extra effort.

Bob Peters---I hope you enjoy Great Plains--Frazier captures the essence of the Plains. He wrote another book--"The Rez"--about his misadventures on the Pine Ridge Reservation that is also quite entertaining. Having visited Pine Ridge, Rosebud, Standing Rock, Lower Brule, Crow Creek and other reservations, I find he's done a good job in delving into, for want of a better term, the Native American psyche. In significant ways, they often look at things, and value things, quite a bit differently than "we" do.

I'm pleased to be able to refer several other "reads"for those dreary winter days ahead:

"The Bronze Goose"-by Kenneth Otterson...from Sporting Classics- the author lived in Sioux Falls, and wrote this story around 1956-- I wish I could remember the issue and year, read it in a borrowed copy and liked it so much I contacted the magazine and they copied it off and mailed it to me. An expressive, moving article about why we hunt.
"The Devil's Birds"--By E. Donnall Thomas--Volume 33, Issue 4, August 2008--an excellent read on western ringnecks; author lives and hunts in Montana.

And finally--for those fortunate enough to get hold of "The Bobwhite Quail Book"edited by Lamar Underwood, I recommend several of my favorite stories: "Slim Boggins' Mistake"--Havilah Babcock; "The Hunting Coat" by Paul Annixter; "Play House"--a superb quail shooting story by Nash Buckingham, and a seldom-seen, moving story by Wlliam Humphrey--"The Shell". I hope you enjoy these, as I have.

Last edited:
Love Ian Frazier. Lot a good stuff mentioned. I’m gonna check out the classics, Rutledge, Babcock etc. On that note I’ll recommend W.H. Foster’s “New England Grouse Shooting”. Excellent read with fantastic Illustrations.

I’d suggest Brown Feathers and Wings of Thunder by Steven J Mulak. He was from New England and a prolific bird hunter.

Back