Blue Grouse near Evergreen

smdmz

I moved to Evergreen a few months ago, and in looking around for Blue Grouse spots to hunt this fall, I found a couple SWAs right outside Evergreen. Question is - does anyone know if this is a worthwhile spot to hunt? This year will be me & my dog's first for blues, and I'd like to get him in front of a couple even if we have to walk miles for them.

Thanks

You may find a few around Evergreen only issue is that there generally is a lot of foot and bike traffic since you are so close to Denver. It would be worth a go during the week when you're less likely to run into people.

You'll put miles on that is for sure. Bring lots of water for the dog he'll need it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably poke around out there once this season, but looking at the terrain & trees out there it doesn't look like there's too much of that desirable sage-aspen-pines combo they're supposedly so drawn to. I suppose driving an hour to good habitat is better than dicking around below-average habitat that's close to home..

If you have opportunity to walk a bit don't pass it up. I wouldn't spend too much energy though. If they are there they are there if not ah well find a new spot.

I have killed many birds on the front range in nothing more than scattered pockets of aspens.. Aspens and open grass are key without the presence of sage. Some of the places I venture into don't even look like it would hold birds but they are there. Grouse hunting involves a lot of foot miles. Almost like looking for needles in a haystack. Amazing how good habitat looks and it may still be void of birds...

The Blue River valley holds birds if you looking for something that might be more suitable habitat. Tough walking but can be productive.

Back