Birds???

ss1

Driving up from Texas the first week of January. Group of 4 hunbters on a 12 hour trip. We will be hunting near Gilman. Can anyone give me a report on the birds? Good, bad, maybe???
I've heard the birds are down this year.

Forget the corn fields, and hit the cattails and you should do ok. The heaver and thicker the cover the better. Don't worry about them being hunted hard, it's just us few die hards left hunting.

A lot of the cover options have changed in the last week. A fair amount of snow as covered the state, 7-12 inches. Checked out a couple of my spots the other day in NW iowa and they were full of the white stuff.

You will be headed north and I will be headed south, I am going to Texas to hit a couple field trials in Jan. I just got done hunting near Buffalo center and there was lots of birds. The snow wasn't bad once you got out of the ditch, I was in switch grass and it was loaded, I have seen lots of birds near the groves as well if you can get permission you should do well. I was done in about an hour. The birds were holding nice and tight and the Springer had no trouble getting around away from the edges and fences, thats where all the snow is piled up. The snow is setteling some today it's about 40 degrees here. If they get much more it may get tough.

Last edited:
Back