Birds Running

woodedareas

I am new to the forum and hunt at a hunting preserve. This is the early part of the year and I have noticed that after the birds (pheasants) have been out in the field even for 15 minutes , they run so far they are out of the range of the field. I have noted that birds run during windy conditions and wonder if someone could explain why they are running so quickly and far as this is not the situation normally during later parts of the season. Often they do move and creep and flush, but I have not experienced this degree of running especially when they have only been in the field for a short period of time. The club advised that this is their first batch of new birds this year. I also have hunted chuckers this past week and although they do run they do not travel off site. Most of the hunters and dogs are finding about 50% of the birds. I have hunted domestic birds for years but I would appreciate some info from someone experienced in raising pheasants.
Thanks

It's early in the season. Most pen birds are a bit more "wild" like in this time of year due to minimal human interaction. Later in the season they often get (too!) used to seeing people in and around the pens, therefore they "dumb" down a bit more compared to early season.

Also, different breeders and different breeds of pen raised pheasants can result in a different kind of hunt. I have a friend who raised a few hundred birds last year. Those birds rarely saw humans. As soon as they saw anyone the went nuts. Even late into the season. They acted very much like wild birds and loved to run.

I'm a wild bird hunter...but have worked at several preserves, and late last season had a buddy who hadn't shot a "wild" bird in several seasons. I took him to a preserve; it was late season, cover pretty sparse...the manager suggested using "hobbles". They worked great for my pointer...birds flew very well when flushed. My buddy had a Lab...he would have gotten better dog work if the birds "ran" a little. If you're able to customize the hunt a little....perhaps some of the birds hobbled, some free???

http://www.birdbreaster.com/product.sc?productId=2

Please, no "flaming" of this post, ok? If these devices are not for you, no problem. I would only use them in certain circumstances- perhaps starting a young dog on the big birds, a beginning hunter who needs to experience some success, or, like in my case....a friend who wanted some birds released, and wanted to find them "for sure"!!!

Sounds to me like the cover might be to thin? Or there are paths/trails that are mowed so it makes running easier for the birds then flying?

Back