Bird populations

Let me report on post season observations. Last season's hatch, in western Kansas anyway, was poor. The early heat and drought was tough on the chicks. Survival rates were very poor. Most birds taken this year were older birds. Kansas needs a good hatch this season to rebound. Hen numbers appear to be very good even after the nasty snow and ice storm at the end of December. If the hatch is good this spring and early summer, numbers should be fine heading into the fall of 07. We even observed more prairie chickens this year than in previous years. Maybe they're on the comeback also.

Fall 2007 pheasant numbers

There was a late frost in mid-April in KS, and it impacted the wheat harvest in southcentral KS. Western KS had a banner harvest this year. It will be interesting to see how this impacted bird numbers when the fall hunting season rolls around. Last year was pretty slow due to extreme drought. I think the hunting will be spotty this year.

Bird Populations

I agree with your thought. I think there will be places which boast about excellent bird populations. But there also will be areas which have average to poor populations. Out in southwestern Kansas where I live, quail have struggled. Pheasants have made a descent comeback and this years hatch looks good if you avoided the hail throughout the summer. Just in my county bird pop. appear very different from north to south, so who knows for sure. I guess we'll find out in Nov.

if you guys want to hear the upland bird report for kansas you can go to www.kdwp.state.ks.us. its a little confusing though but basically it sounds like there will be good spots and bad spots in kansas. but on the plus side they said there will be alot more juveniles this year so hunting should be easier than last

Went to the North East region(senca)seen lots of birds ..Only managed to get one rooster and three bobs..Birds whore running like crazy and it was only me and the dog..no blockers..good luck to all..:thumbsup: ..:10sign:

that's great news!

Thanks for the update Oggie! I have lived in KS all my life and have never ventured up that way for a pheasant hunt. I know for certain there isn't a "huntable" population of pheasants in my area, but Seneca is quite a bit further N and E of here. If there are decent bird numbers that close it would be great!

Again, thanks for the report. I hope to see more reports from KS. That's what keeps me going at the office through the week. Hope the boss doesn't find out how much time I spend on this forum!

Back