Bird Hunting out East

vdduplander

I found out that I will be leaving Kansas this summer and going to Maryland. Does anyone have any good areas to hunt birds out there or will I be s.o.l? Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that my friend. I wouldn't move to the E side of this country unless my family and I were starving. I'm being encouraged to take a job in IL right now. There's no chance. I'd rather live a poor lifestyle in KS than make lots of money in a place with limited outdoor opportunities. Best of luck to you! I hope there is more out there than I know about. I have read a lot about several eastern states and their released birds program. It obviously won't be like hunting wild birds here in KS or SD, but it is better than nothing. Again, I hope you find some places to hunt out there. Let us know how it turns out.

Might be time to get more serious about fishing.

KS Brittney not my choice in the matter. Personally I love the great state of Kansas and would not leave but my boss (military) says otherwise. I will try to make the best of it out east but my heart lies in the midwest. I be leaving KS this summer so at lest I will get one more spring turkey season under my belt but missed the chance to bag the elusive prairie chicken.

KS Brittney not my choice in the matter. Personally I love the great state of Kansas and would not leave but my boss (military) says otherwise. I will try to make the best of it out east but my heart lies in the midwest. I be leaving KS this summer so at lest I will get one more spring turkey season under my belt but missed the chance to bag the elusive prairie chicken.

If you make it back during chicken season next year I can get you on one. They are elusive, but I've got a lifetime of experience and a couple of good spots on my side. I think if more people had successful chicken hunts there would be a lot more support for their populations. They are a neat bird! Especially when it comes time for mating. I enjoy looking at my booming Tom mount everyday.

Good luck out there!

vdduplander-
Sorry you are leaving Kansas. Out here we have the elusive lesser prairie chicken, which is a little different than the greater prairie chicken.

Do you qualify for the purchase of a lifetime hunting license? Kansas has the best lifetime hunting and fishing licenses that I know. I, along with both sons, have Kansas Lifetime Hunting and Fishing Licenses. My oldest son moved to Colorado, then Missouri and now is back in Kansas(KC), but all the time he has had the privileges of a Kansas resident. My youngest son, now lives in Missouri(KC), but hunts deer in Kansas as a resident.

Currently a Lifetime Hunting License costs $442.15, or you can make eight quarterly payments of $61.15.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/hunting/applications_and_fees

Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Excellent suggestion MR Byrd! I too purchased my lifetime hunting license. It won't take long for it to pay for itself if I ever have to live in another state for awhile.

Back