Biomass map?

I remember last year just before the season there was like a biomass map of Kansas/Okla. Anyone remember what it was called or where a current one can be found?

found it!

Here is a site that you can look at them.

http://www.agronomy.ksu.edu/extension/

As a note, last year my County looked pretty good and I thought bird numbers were fine. This year, not so much. I am pretty pessimistic if this is as accurate in prognosticating as it was last year. I heard early on that folks were seeing lots of hens and chicks. Then, as the heat wave came on they were only seeing adult birds. Now, they aren't seeing either. (I know that is anecdotal but based on heat, lack of rain, biomass map and eye-ball reports I am as pessimistic as I have been in 10 years.)

Last year the KDWPT posted a satellite infrared photo showing the big biomass hole in western kansas where the drought was bad.

Last edited:
If you go to the site I linked above you can see an up to date comparison (last 2 weeks or so) with 2011 and a 20 year average. Northern 2 tiers of counties are in much worse shape than last year. Unfortunately, that is where I hunt.

The lack of seeing birds in the HEAT is probably because they tuck themselves away in shady areas and don't stroll along HOT roads. This is especially true of Mama hen and her chicks. Protecting eggs and chicks during a cold, wet, hail stricken spring hatch is a tall order for hens but I'm not real sure how hens and chicks deal with the heat. I think they can handle it though, especially if the chicks get past the first week or two. I'm always amazed at how protective wild birds are of their young - Mama hen deserves a lot of credit!

You won't find me stolling down HOT, dusty gravel roads in 100 degree heat. I doubt whether the birds will do much of that either.

Back