Billings

birdbustin

I'm in the billings area moved from Oregon and wanting to get a little deeper into upland birds. I've hunted upland birds before but mainly was into waterfowl and was wondering if anyone is looking for a partner. I don't have any friends out here so I'm trying to make some with the same interest as I have. I have a lab that I would like to get one some hunts as well. Any advise will help Thanks Kevin

Where in Oregon did you come from? When I was in my 20's I spent time in Redmond and Bend. I also spent time near Gold Beach where my Aunt and Uncles ranch is. As for upland hunting near Billings, I have never hunted down that way, but I have heard that access to the river bottom is pretty tough to come by, so any new acquantainance you make would be a good thing! I know their is a decent population of birds if you go north of roundup and take the Winnett cut-across. Not sure on how easy it is to gain permission there though. I bet you permission is do-able after the first couple of weeks for birds as long as the landowner doesn't have any big game hunters around.

We might be able to work something out.... I live on the Bighorn now, but our pheasant numbers are down still. Lost the first hatch in the flood last year and then the second in a hailstorm on August 12, 2011. What I do have is plenty of fowl, but have never hunted them and have no decoys or equipment. Would you be interested in coming down for some fowl? We will have pheasants back, (and according to what I've heard the rest of the valley has a bumper crop), just not this year it seems. I would like to get some learning done on the fowl hunting though. I'm about an hour from Billings.

I live for waterfowl I'm a lot better duck hunter then I will ever be as a pheasant hunter! We so plan something

We might be able to work something out.... I live on the Bighorn now, but our pheasant numbers are down still. Lost the first hatch in the flood last year and then the second in a hailstorm on August 12, 2011. What I do have is plenty of fowl, but have never hunted them and have no decoys or equipment. Would you be interested in coming down for some fowl? We will have pheasants back, (and according to what I've heard the rest of the valley has a bumper crop), just not this year it seems. I would like to get some learning done on the fowl hunting though. I'm about an hour from Billings.

Do you get any geese on your place? I like duck hunting, but grew up goose hunting in Glendive. Been living in the Billings area for 10 years and I'm still trying to find places to hunt around here.

Do you get any geese on your place? I like duck hunting, but grew up goose hunting in Glendive. Been living in the Billings area for 10 years and I'm still trying to find places to hunt around here.

Are you having any luck with pheasants? I went out this morning and was able to get two roosters and flushed up another but it got up a little out of range. If your looking for another guy to hunt with someday let me know its getting tougher and tougher to try and work fields alone. And it would also be nice to have someone to visit with haha.

The pheasant situation is depressing.... The rest of the valley seems to be having a good year, and right here we haven't recovered much from last year. There is a 30 acre island here, but I'm not sure where to put a blind. I am planning on repurposing a sheep shed, or as much of it that makes it across the channel, even if it's just the roof. I am seeing ducks, but the geese are just now starting to come in.

You'll probably want multiple blinds because many things effect where and when to set up in an area. I'd start by scouting your birds watch them in the morning and night any try and figure out where they are coming from and where there headed

Well, come on down and take a look..... the river is split in thirds right here and the channel at the far side of the island isn't all that wide... kinda necked down in a funnel like. I don't own a boat, but there is a State launch half a mile or so upstream and another 4 miles down. I will warn those who would like to come shoot some birds... I have a fused spine and don't get around that great and I use cannabis as my only medicine.... opiate pills make me sick and useless. So, if you vote in Montana, please consider voting against SB-423 as it is no sort of regulation and is impossible to work with for patients and caregivers alike. I am passionate about it, and feel it is truly good medicine when used responsibly. I like to be upfront about it, because it does bother some folks. Anyway, I do need some advice on setting up and stuff, but I don't mind sharing this little piece as long as people are respectful and don't trash it. So, if any members here want to come out... do so. I'm friendly. Hahahahaa!

We may have to get together and see what we can do. The geese won't start really coming in until it gets colder up north. Do you have any water that's spring fed and doesn't freeze? That's where the ducks will be if and when the river freezes.

The smallest channel here will freeze if we have about 3 days at -20. There will be chunks of ice, but with Yellowtail dam upstream, we don't freeze here.

Back