BIG Thanks and a Great Season

bones

Just want to give everyone here a big thank you. Could not make it out for the last weekend; it was my oldest boys birthday yesterday. However due to advice from board members and several other Native and Transplanted Colorodans it was a heck of a season. I will remeber many hunts and events during hunts for the rest of my lifetime.From dove season , to my search for the elusive Front Range Grouse, to chasing longtailed roosters on the prairie, it has been amazing and I am hooked.

Doves were kind of a bust but I know where to go now.

Finally found my grouse in an area burned by the Hayman Fire and limited the weekend before Pheasant season opened. They are not very smart but they are tasty.

Went to Kansas for the opener. The land of Pheasant should have been named more quail and bunnies than you can shake a stick at. 5 Pheasent, 18 quail, and 12 bunnies over the long weekend. To be honest it was pretty warm so I'm sure the roosters were running. Shot pheasent here in Colorado everytime I went out; though two birds seem to be my limit. My honey hole shall remain nameless, but to anyone who wants to go next year there is an open inventation. (You may be blindfolded on the way in LOL......).

Hunted behind a motley crew of dogs. Weimis, Brittanies, labs, setters, pointers; even an overweight Blue Heeler that "trees birds" and holds them there. Wish more folks had seen that, absolutley comical sight. Some dogs were amazing others were complete knuckleheads, but all added character and an added aspect of companionship to each hunt. I now have a deposit down on a pup, a GSP, that will come home on the 2nd of March.

Many discoveries were also made others were reenforced. Folks in eastern CO are some of the friendliest in the whole nation. Rooster spurs will cut you, if an angry "dead rooster" wakes up in a game bag. High CRP + a large badger and jack rabbit population means you will wind up on your rear end. The fields look flat but there is whole lot of up and down to wear you out. Weimis will point angry coons in heavy cover (do not kick grass to get them to flush). Roosters will cackle at Blue Heelers if they have been "tree'd". Prairie Storm shells can and will turn roosters into pillow stuffing out to 40 yds. Pheasant should compete in Track and Field events. 20 MPH winds in The Springs equal 60 MPH winds 80 miles east. Hen Pheasant like to kill themselves on power lines. Forget corn as a food source for birds, sunflowers area were its at.

Again a BIG Thanks to all,
bones

good stuff, its all a learning experience no mater how much ya know aint it :p

aint that the truth about them running track and field...holly crap are they tough to chase down, even after being shot! lol

may i ask where ur going to get ur GSP from?

Bones, you truly got to College in only 1 short season!!!!! You hunt that hard next season and we will all be calling you DOC!!!!!:10sign:

My GSP, her registered name will be Eirik's Abigail of the High Prairie, is coming from High Point Kennels in Yoder.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones

Back