Beware of Bloat

powbass

I fed my GWP (90+lbs) to soon after exercise and he died of bloat that evening.
I learned the hard way. check out bloat on the gun dog forum,. I have so much
dog training equipment on hand I will probably have to come up with a new hunting partner. Big decision as I am approaching 85 yrs.

Sad news. Sorry to hear this.

poor dog

feel for your age even though i'm a kid compared to you but still too old to start all over again. bloat as i understand it is complicated and there is a good chance that you did nothing wrong, the reasons for it seem to bounce all over the place from exercise, breed, narrow chest cavity, feeding food at floor level, and a host of other things. don't be too hard on yourself

cheers

Good post Musti.

Sorry for your loss powbass. I can only imagine the guilt you must have felt, but I too hope you're not being too hard on yourself.

So sorry to hear this. I agree that you should not beat yourself up. My understanding is that bloat is quite poorly understood about what can cause it. Heartbreaking nomatter what though.
Dave

Powbass, sorry about your pup. Don't be too hard on yourself as we learn something new about life each and every day. Sometimes we learn through the school of "Hard Knocks". I hope you get a new partner and get back out there chasing those roosters. I would enjoy walking a couple fields together if our paths ever cross.

Back