Best way to break in new gun

jbylake

I have a new FRIANCHI o/u and it's stiff as heck. What's the best way to "loosen" it up a bit. Thanks ahead,
J.

I have a new FRIANCHI o/u and it's stiff as heck. What's the best way to "loosen" it up a bit. Thanks ahead,
J.
I've heard of people using graphite lube, but I would take it out and burn a couple of boxes of cheap shells before I got carried away with the messy stuff

Last edited:
Not familiar with Franchi's but check your owners manual to see what they recommend for cleaning. My Browning Citori manual recommended grease for the hinge pins during cleaning and not gun oil. For the initial cleaning I stripped all of the factory lubricant using CLP then greased all the moving hinge parts. Helped a lot, then as birddude said, shoot the piss out of it.

Remove all lubes, shoot the piss out of it.
This. The gun will not loosen up unless it sees lots of wear and tear.
And by remove all the lubes, I would completely tear that gun down and remove lubes from everywhere, especially the internal cocking mechanism. Even that probably won't make much difference but needs to be done anyways.

I've had a gunsmith file down the action slightly on a new Beretta to loosen it up. Says the Italians like their new guns super stiff. Just sort of a cultural preference.

Stiff? As opposed to being limp?

Shotguns are sturdy items. I am confused by what this even means.
Assuming he means the break action. My new over/under was stiff as hell out of the box. Still is but is much better than before. A new over/under is incredibly stiff compared to a well used one. My dad has a 35 year old Citori that falls open when he breaks the action, my new one opens up but hangs up and I have to manually open it. Just takes time to wear them in.

Back