Best steak in Kansas?

Gonna be bee bopping around North/Central West/Central later this month with the youngsters, well, not as young as they once where. Will have one newbie for sure, maybe two. I have seen posted here before of a really good restruant/steak place somewhere in that area that you need to make reservations for, even though it is in the middle of nowhere.

Can anybody tell me what this place is called?

Buffalo roam is one of them, and there is a brewery west of Claflin is another, Beaver brewery I think, reservations on weekends might be a good idea on that one. The lumber yard in south central is one I want to try.

Last edited:
Thanks BrownDog, the Buffalo Roam was the one I was thinking of. This trip I will be further west, so perhaps another year.

Thanks, Ken

Big Ed's in Bird City. Used to be great. Haven't been for a few years.

Big Ed's can be hit or miss.. Service is still the same slower than slow. If you want good food cross the border into Benkelman, NE (only 1/2hr out of Bird) and hit the Skyline Grill. Great food and service...

Big Ed's can be hit or miss.. Service is still the same slower than slow. If you want good food cross the border into Benkelman, NE (only 1/2hr out of Bird) and hit the Skyline Grill. Great food and service...

Like I said I haven't been to BE lately. Skyline has gone downhill in my experience. The owner used to be the cook at Big Ed's before she opened Skyline.

Like I said I haven't been to BE lately. Skyline has gone downhill in my experience. The owner used to be the cook at Big Ed's before she opened Skyline.

That's interesting. Was there last season and thought it was pretty good. The second owner of Big Ed's opened a place in Elizabeth, CO. He serves a pretty good piece of meat. I will say Big Ed himself cooked and served the best steaks. Ate there a lot in the 80's. They were open for lunch back then too..

We ate at Big Ed's last season. It was pretty good. We were in no hurry, but service was slow. I think it may have been better all around if it wasn't so dang busy.

We ate at Big Ed's last season. It was pretty good. We were in no hurry, but service was slow. I think it may have been better all around if it wasn't so dang busy.

Actually I have to take it all back... The best steak is at my house in Bird City.. Service is a bit slow but bar is self service and the steaks cooked rare but not cold.:cool:

Meridy's, Russell
Western Kansas Saloon and Grill, WaKeeney
FDIC Club, Park

Back