Best hunting I've ever seen

Bob Peters

This is my 4th year of pheasant hunting. Opening day was a bust, 2nd day of season I hunted only the golden hour, saw one rooster and got him. Very happy with that, every bird in hand is special. I took off last wed-friday, with my plan being a 5 day hunting trip. Only hunted the weekdays because the weekend was too tropical. Wednesday morning while sitting in the parking spot waiting on a buddy I saw 6 roosters standing in the road about 300 yards away. My buddy showed up and we walked the first spot, flushed 7 roosters all at the same time out of a thick swampy corner, I didn't get any shots because my buddy was in front of me, but it was nice to see all those birds. We split up after the walk and I drove around a corner a few miles down the road and I saw three roosters standing in the middle of the road in the middle of the day. Eventually two of them ran into the public ground and I went downwind, parked, got out the dogs and everything from there went like magic. My mark was perfect, ten steps into the grass a flush, bang drop, 3 second pause flush bang drop. Without going through all the details I returned to that same public spot the next two days with my buddy and we limited out each time. And we saw a lot of birds. We missed a few and still got more chances. We flushed roosters on the way back to the truck after we were done. We never even got to the back half of this piece. I'd never gotten a limit of roosters before and I got one three days in a row. We saw a lot of roosters in the road all throughout the day. I really am lovin' this early season hunting 🥳 .

Attachments

• 20221021_143309.jpg
    20221021_143309.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 71
  • 20221019_183748.jpg
    20221019_183748.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
  • 20221021_230216.jpg
    20221021_230216.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
This is my 4th year of pheasant hunting. Opening day was a bust, 2nd day of season I hunted only the golden hour, saw one rooster and got him. Very happy with that, every bird in hand is special. I took off last wed-friday, with my plan being a 5 day hunting trip. Only hunted the weekdays because the weekend was too tropical. Wednesday morning while sitting in the parking spot waiting on a buddy I saw 6 roosters standing in the road about 300 yards away. My buddy showed up and we walked the first spot, flushed 7 roosters all at the same time out of a thick swampy corner, I didn't get any shots because my buddy was in front of me, but it was nice to see all those birds. We split up after the walk and I drove around a corner a few miles down the road and I saw three roosters standing in the middle of the road in the middle of the day. Eventually two of them ran into the public ground and I went downwind, parked, got out the dogs and everything from there went like magic. My mark was perfect, ten steps into the grass a flush, bang drop, 3 second pause flush bang drop. Without going through all the details I returned to that same public spot the next two days with my buddy and we limited out each time. And we saw a lot of birds. We missed a few and still got more chances. We flushed roosters on the way back to the truck after we were done. We never even got to the back half of this piece. I'd never gotten a limit of roosters before and I got one three days in a row. We saw a lot of roosters in the road all throughout the day. I really am lovin' this early season hunting 🥳 .
That's the way dogs should sleep. Not in a cage. Good job.

Dogs don't need to sleep in a crate, but should travel in one because it is safer. Crates are their seat belt and airbag. It is about respect for your hunting dog and good judgement while you are driving.
I've always had my dog ride in a crate while in transport. Since day 1 when I picked her up as a puppy. Its just safer not only for the dog, but for the driver as well. Not to mention I don't want all that dirt, mud, and dog hair on my seats.

I've always had my dog ride in a crate while in transport. Since day 1 when I picked her up as a puppy. Its just safer not only for the dog, but for the driver as well. Not to mention I don't want all that dirt, mud, and dog hair on my seats.
Agree…. Given a choice my dogs will take a crate

Are those 2 Goldens related or maybe twins?
No they are not, although we still call them sisters. The one with a little white on the muzzle is almost 7. The younger dog will turn 1 this Sunday, we'll be celebrating with her in South Dakota.

No they are not, although we still call them sisters. The one with a little white on the muzzle is almost 7. The younger dog will turn 1 this Sunday, we'll be celebrating with her in South Dakota.
I'll be out there too with my 5 year old black lab, leaving tomorrow. Might be a little warm, keep an eye on that. Good luck.

I'm heading out friday morning for Mn hunting, just got back from SD. The reports from you guys who have hunted MN got me fired up. Thanks for the reports.

Be careful with over heating your dogs this weekend. Many guys forget how much hotter it is when the weeds are taller than the dogs. They don’t get the airflow down there like we do.

Back