Best Hun country

TABLEROCK

Heading out to Montana for a week and would like to plan a Hun hunt. I have shot Huns all over the state before but not in any good numbers. Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for some solid numbers. Not your honey hole but just a general region so I can plan my hunt out a little better.;)

Thanks Tablerock in Mn.

There is good Hun hunting in lots of areas of Montana especially the east half.
Just about anyplace where there is grain stubble mixed in the grasslands. I've had some of my best shooting in the native grasslands with no grain within miles. Depends on the year. Early while there are plentiful insects I believe the grasslands are best. Later cold weather, Huns spend a lot of time in or near stubble.
The best Hun hunting I've had has been in the Judith Basin country. I've also had some very good shooting in SE MT.

There is good Hun hunting in lots of areas of Montana especially the east half.
Just about anyplace where there is grain stubble mixed in the grasslands. I've had some of my best shooting in the native grasslands with no grain within miles. Depends on the year. Early while there are plentiful insects I believe the grasslands are best. Later cold weather, Huns spend a lot of time in or near stubble.
The best Hun hunting I've had has been in the Judith Basin country. I've also had some very good shooting in SE MT.

Have to agree with you there. IF you can find an area with some draws that finger out into grain fields, especially if there are buffalo berries, you will find huns. Some of the best times I've had were hunting the shelterbelts around old farmsteads up in the NE corner, Westby west to Opheim. Lots of wheat stubble and fingered coulees....ahhh the memories!

Back