Beretta BL-5, can i shoot steel or hevy shot in it?

EEK

loooking at a nice Beretta 20g BL5 but as i am new to this game i thought i would ask if i could shoot steel or some of the other non-tox shot through it.
thanks, EEk, its here now i have few more questions, action locks up tight and lever is center or just a touch to the right, is this OK? forearm moves slightly back and forth. wood is great, plactic butpad is nice, blue is 90+ and engraving, screws ect are 100%.
Date code says 1969 and barrels are I/C bottom and mod top. Any idea what its worth? 20g 26in barrels orange mid and front bead.

Last edited:
You can shoot Bismuth or Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles.

I'm sure it has fixed chokes, does it not?

If so, what choke restriction does it have?

If it doesn't have choke tubes. I wouldn't shoot anything that isn't soft like lead. Steel and other non toxic shot can and will damage the barrel near the muzzle eventually.

Onpoint

It is fixed chokes, i dont know what they are till it gets to my FFl, i got it from a friend and if i dont like it i can just return it, i will see how it fits me before i decide. how do i tell what chokes the barrrels are? Also can i shoot the copper plated lead?

Last edited:
I know with some Beretta's doubles you will need to have your local gun shop check them with a choke gauge. They are not marked, atleast not in a way that most know how to identify.

You can shoot copper plated lead shot but it is not considered non toxic by federal or state wildlife agencies.

I'm in the same boat with several of my guns. I like some of the older quality made shotgun's but their down fall is the fixed chokes. I know of no manufacture that recommends shooting steel, Hevi-shot or other hard non toxic shot though their fixed choke guns.

You can develop a bulge just rear of the choke from doing so. They say it has no effect but just the cosmetic damage alone dictates me not attempting it. There are those I'm sure that will say...shoot it I have done it for years. All it will take is one shell that just happens to bridge the choke and the damage will be done. Keep us posted when you get it. Maybe share some pics with us.

Onpoint

Browning_bulge.jpg

Last edited:
i will post some pics, its marked with some stamped in stars but i cant remember how many, i have read that Coles can install choke tubes in chrome lined barrels as these might be, i only hunt one areaa that has both phesant and duck and i have a Benelli SBE 2 i can use, i wil lhave it here on teusday, it looked very nice in the pics i got i am a lefty so i will have to see how it fits. Thanks for all the help.

Back