Benelli Ultra Light 20 Gauge

drew3287

Interested to see if any of you guys have experience with the BUL 20. Have a SBE II American (no ComforTech) 12 gauge but am thinking about buying and then switching over to the BUL 20 for most bird hunting: pheasants, quail, doves, turkeys with a "softer recoil" load (2.75" Federal Heavyweight #7), and waterfowl--mainly ducks (3" Kent Tungsten Matrix #3). Based on your experience with it, is the recoil a big issue when shooting a couple boxes of shells trying to take a limit of doves or a limit of ducks?

I'm a 12 gauge guy but I've shot a 20 gauge BUL a good bit and it always left me thinking that they kick far less than they "should".

I'd be far more concerned with the way they handle....

I have a Montefeltro 20ga Benelli. I love the gun. It's the 2nd or 3rd one I've owned. I said, this time I won't part with this one. Most likely the best 20ga auto loader being made today.

i have a 12 ga montfeltro and a stoeger a2000, both inertia driven.there's a distinctive clank or snap when they cycle.i shot 20 ga 1100(gas operated) at a "demonstration" sporting clays fun shoot and it was felt like a 22.for benelli money i sure would like to try a browning silver or equivalent beretta 20before i decided
the montfeltro is a good gun,but not the softest shooter.i have a 20 ga cz thats pretty soft and i havent broke it yet,less than 500 bucks

Thank you guys for your input on this! Personally, while shooting 3.5" shells at Canada Geese (or a duck that happens to come by while goose hunting) I don't really notice the recoil being a huge issue with my SBE II that doesn't have the ComforTech stock. I probably wouldn't want to shoot a bunch of 3.5" shells, but I don't think I've shot more than 10 in a hunt.

With that being the case, my guess is that the BUL 20 would probably be in that same boat with not really noticing the recoil that much while hunting pheasants or ducks where you don't shoot a high volume of shells, but possibly noticing it more shooting clays or doves due to more high volume shooting. I'd like to use a gun like the BUL 20 for doves and I'm hoping shooting quite a few light dove loads on a hunt wouldn't be too much of a problem.

You should be fine. I also shoot a benelli and love it. I would get some practice in before getting to the field. Your swing is going to be a lot quicker coming from the SBE II.

Back