Be Careful Of Your Bluing

oscar

Was shooting sporting clays with some friends today and several of us were shooting Citori's in various models. I have a Crossover Target and one other was very similar. I did notice the other one was missing a patch of blue on the bottom of the receiver. It belongs to a friend and I asked what happened. He said he was shooting it earlier in the season when the bugs were bad. He had a lot of repellent on, but kept his hands clean. What happened was he was carrying the gun broken from station to station and had it over his shoulder. It made contact with his neck and it removed the bluing.

I asked if had contacted Browning as he manages a gun store. He said he hadn't as he didn't think they would do anything.

I remember in the past, repellent would remove the finish from Remington stocks, but never heard of it removing bluing.

Be careful spraying this stuff when you are around guns....in addition to blueing I've seen OFF repellent mess up stock finishes something nasty. Kinda makes you wonder if we should be putting it on our skin, eh?

Back