Banded Bird

KansasGsp

Hey guys, just returned from South Dakota yesterday. I shot a banded rooster on Saturday, first time ever harvesting one with a band. Haven't had time to call the number yet. Any of you guys know anything about these bands? Thanks, I love SD and can't wait to get back!

Never heard of banded pheasants, but let us know what you find out when you call it in. I am in Iowa, so SD might have some kind of know program. Looking forward to hearing about this.

I shot a banded bird once in MN. Found out later it was a pen-raised released bird by a private landowner nearby.

Town we were staying in had something going on with a few banded birds that were worth money of shot. Unfortunately that is about the extent of my knowledge of it but could get some more details for you if you want. PM me the town and I’ll let you know if that is possible to be the case.

Last edited:
I shot a banded bird a few years back, Aberdeen had a one in a million contest going on. I'm guessing it is something like that.

In the past when I’ve stayed in Mitchell’s and gone to cabelas they have a big board up with banded birds people claimed for prizes. They released like 100 birds to win all kinds of goodies.

There are some reward bands out there yet from different promotions that some areas put on. What area was it shot?

Just called the number and got a message saying "Thanks for calling Cackle Corner, if you shot a banded bird please leave your name, date it was shot, area you shot it, band number and a phone number we can reach you at". I did what they asked, guess we'll see what comes of it. Oh ya, also said something about band number between 1-1,000 and my band was 586. Guess there's another 999 out there! Will keep you guys informed. Thanks for all the replies.

One day several years ago I was hunting a WPA & shot a banded pseudo-rooster. I'd shot 2 other REAL roosters that day, & the place lent itself to being productive for only a short window during the season, so I went back the next day to get the goody out of it. I ended up shooting 2 MORE banded ones. Turns out they'd been released by a Pro Pheasants group in the area earlier in the season for a youth hunt. It's very, VERY uncommon for me to see a rooster before it flushes, even in very light cover. All 3 of these were chased on foot by my 2nd springer Buzz, 2 of them passed within 5-10 feet of me, and I saw all 3 of them running before they finally flew. They acted in no way like the wild birds we're used to, other than that they did run a bit & did fly a bit. But in a very different fashion. I wear them on my lanyard more as a joke than anything else.

transmitter bling.jpg

I shot a banded bird in NoDak a few years back and it turned out that Windsor and the local Chamber of Commerce had put birds out for some kind of promo. They sent me a hat and t-shirt (I didn't even get a bottle!)

One day several years ago I was hunting a WPA & shot a banded pseudo-rooster. I'd shot 2 other REAL roosters that day, & the place lent itself to being productive for only a short window during the season, so I went back the next day to get the goody out of it. I ended up shooting 2 MORE banded ones. Turns out they'd been released by a Pro Pheasants group in the area earlier in the season for a youth hunt. It's very, VERY uncommon for me to see a rooster before it flushes, even in very light cover. All 3 of these were chased on foot by my 2nd springer Buzz, 2 of them passed within 5-10 feet of me, and I saw all 3 of them running before they finally flew. They acted in no way like the wild birds we're used to, other than that they did run a bit & did fly a bit. But in a very different fashion. I wear them on my lanyard more as a joke than anything else.

View attachment 4536
Love the lanyard. We were dove hunting years ago and a flock of pigeons flew over. My dad dropped one and it had a band. I asked him if he was going to put it on his lanyard.😁

Love the lanyard. We were dove hunting years ago and a flock of pigeons flew over. My dad dropped one and it had a band. I asked him if he was going to put it on his lanyard.😁
I may or may not have been associated with a person who, many years ago, also shot a pigeon to liven up a slow period of a duck hunt, which turned out to be banded. We imagined somebody in the area waited a long time for his/her favorite racing/homing pigeon to return that night. As I recall, he attached it to his duck call lanyard with a twisty tie or something.

Back