Bad timing

Jet

Not that there would ever be a good time for it but it’s looking like one of my boys has torn his acl/ccl. Do any of you guys have recommendations on surgeons? Preferably on the east half of the state but will travel for a more favorable result.

Not that there would ever be a good time for it but it’s looking like one of my boys has torn his acl/ccl. Do any of you guys have recommendations on surgeons? Preferably on the east half of the state but will travel for a more favorable result.
Mine tore hers and I opted to do the brace. We actually just got the brace today. She is 9 and wasn't a good candidate for surgery. Below is the link where I got my brace. Expensive but cheaper than the surgery. I don't think we could have kept her calm enough to recover properly. We did all the casting ourselves. Only advice I will give is to not go by an Xray and the drawer test. If I was going to do surgery I would head to Kstate to make sure it was a tear via MRI and to see how bad is was.

Reactions: Jet
Kstate was my first thought. My vet said he didn’t think they currently had an orthopedic surgeon on staff. I thought this was odd but will definitely check there.

Jus
Mine tore hers and I opted to do the brace. We actually just got the brace today. She is 9 and wasn't a good candidate for surgery. Below is the link where I got my brace. Expensive but cheaper than the surgery. I don't think we could have kept her calm enough to recover properly. We did all the casting ourselves. Only advice I will give is to not go by an Xray and the drawer test. If I was going to do surgery I would head to Kstate to make sure it was a tear via MRI and to see how bad is was.

t curious why she was wasn’t a candidate for surgery?

If you want that dog to hunt and it is a torn ACL, then it’s a TPLO or TTA by an experienced canine orthopedic surgeon. Expensive yes, but if you want that dog to hunt, it is the right way for success. What if it was your knee?

Keep a close eye on em. Mine tore hers in June. Slight limp. She was 10 so surgery wasn’t for her. After a week or two of a slight limp she stopped eating and quickly wasted away. I’ll be paranoid about my other dogs for the rest of my life now. I could not justify cost of surgery at her age. I see you asked west that. I’d assume the same.

Keep a close eye on em. Mine tore hers in June. Slight limp. She was 10 so surgery wasn’t for her. After a week or two of a slight limp she stopped eating and quickly wasted away. I’ll be paranoid about my other dogs for the rest of my life now. I could not justify cost of surgery at her age. I see you asked west that. I’d assume the same.
That’s terrible. Sorry you had to go through that with your dog.

Jus

t curious why she was wasn’t a candidate for surgery?
9 years old and already had arthritis in her knee and hip on the same leg. The vet suggested to keep her sedated for the entire recovery due to her energy level. We actually had the surgery scheduled and started her on the sedatives the week before and it just was hard to watch. I just didn't want to give her that medicine and watch her be a zombie for 4 months. And I don't think there is any way that my wife and I could have done the rehab. We both work and leave at 6:30 in the morning for school and don't get home til 4:30. Then we have parent teacher conferences, ball games, and everything else that goes along with being a teacher that takes over your life. She would have been crated for long periods, which probably wouldn't have been a bad thing for recovery but not much of a life. She doesn't limb and isn't really in pain so we have a brace. Just put it on about 15 minutes ago.

9 years old and already had arthritis in her knee and hip on the same leg. The vet suggested to keep her sedated for the entire recovery due to her energy level. We actually had the surgery scheduled and started her on the sedatives the week before and it just was hard to watch. I just didn't want to give her that medicine and watch her be a zombie for 4 months. And I don't think there is any way that my wife and I could have done the rehab. We both work and leave at 6:30 in the morning for school and don't get home til 4:30. Then we have parent teacher conferences, ball games, and everything else that goes along with being a teacher that takes over your life. She would have been crated for long periods, which probably wouldn't have been a bad thing for recovery but not much of a life. She doesn't limb and isn't really in pain so we have a brace. Just put it on about 15 minutes ago.
Age is a concern for me as well. My dog is 9 and has a lot of miles under him but he’s in great shape otherwise. Just a freak accident so hopefully he’ll be a good candidate for surgery. Bracing really isn’t an option as he refuses to use the leg at all, he has quickly become pretty agile as a tripod though.

Age is a concern for me as well. My dog is 9 and has a lot of miles under him but he’s in great shape otherwise. Just a freak accident so hopefully he’ll be a good candidate for surgery. Bracing really isn’t an option as he refuses to use the leg at all, he has quickly become pretty agile as a tripod though.
When you do the surgery, there is like a 60% chance that he will tear the ccl on the other leg. Are you crating him and do you have him on any NSAIDS? Deramaxx worked much better than Caprofen for my dog. When they tear that ligament, it requires total rest in a crate. A 2 minute bathroom break on a short lead and back in. You aren't helping him if he is running around on 3 legs. Same with the surgery recovery. They are going to spend 23 hours plus in crate for several weeks after surgery. My dog would have been crated for months as she is a jumper in the kennel run.

Is this concerning your son or a dog? If your son, I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee last year with an excellent result. Place: Republic County Hospital, Belleville; Ortho Surgeon: David Samani, M.D., out of Lincoln NE. He comes to the hospital here two or three times per month for clinic and surgery and has been for many years.

Best wishes Jet with your dog. I know several who’ve done the surgery and was a great success.

Is this concerning your son or a dog? If your son, I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee last year with an excellent result. Place: Republic County Hospital, Belleville; Ortho Surgeon: David Samani, M.D., out of Lincoln NE. He comes to the hospital here two or three times per month for clinic and surgery and has been for many years.
Lol, it’s my dog but I can certainly see where the question came from. I pretty routinely tell my 2 sons that he is their brother and my favorite child because he doesn’t talk back and does what he’s told most of the time.

My lab was 8 when he tore both of his while hunting many years ago. We had the tplo done 1st in January 2nd in April. The rehab was the hardest we blocked off a portion of the house and set it up so he couldn't jump up on anything. Took it slow and never had a problem. He was good to go the following season and several after. Take it easy and best of luck!

Jet,

Good luck with rehab. My 10 year old had TPLO done in March this year. A lot of long nights. We had to come up with creative ways for her to take meds. She is doing well and we are now hiking 3-5 miles every other day. I doubt I’ll hunt her all day like I use to, but she’ll get to hunt a few fields.

Ken

Kstate was my first thought. My vet said he didn’t think they currently had an orthopedic surgeon on staff. I thought this was odd but will definitely check there.

I did talk to them. Price was right in line with every other place I talked to. Problem was a consult was a week out and surgery likely 2-3 weeks after that. I wasn’t willing to wait that long for surgery. Guy I ended up going with did the consult and surgery same day since I was from out of town.

Jet,

Good luck with rehab. My 10 year old had TPLO done in March this year. A lot of long nights. We had to come up with creative ways for her to take meds. She is doing well and we are now hiking 3-5 miles every other day. I doubt I’ll hunt her all day like I use to, but she’ll get to hunt a few fields.

Ken
It has been a very exhausting 5 days so far. Pills I just wrap up in a piece of sliced cheese and down they go. 12 weeks of keep him cooped up will probably drive us all crazy though.

Back