Bad luck

cowdog

It will be 2 weeks on monday that I ran over my dogs foot with the pickup. good news is no broken bones, Bad news is 20 days till opener and hes limping real bad. Any tricks, home remedys to help get the sore out?

Ouch! I've had a bit of bad luck with my lab too. She was in a lot of pain after our last hunt and we ended up at the vet. She has spinal stenosis, which is a symptom of some instability in the spine, most likely a herniated disc that is inflamed and causing her pain. He is on 6 weeks of strict rest (yes, the ENTIRE pheasant season here in Nova Scotia!) and then we'll take it from there. Of course I'm dissapointed about losing the season, but more imporantly I am worried about the long-term prognosis. We'll see when she's been rested and I phase her back into the last few weeks of the waterfowl season. I'll be bringing the boat so that I don't have to work her too hard if she doesn't seem up to it.
More to the point for your case (sorry about highjacking your thread!) I have had a great success with liquid "Metacam" for treating just about any painful ailment that a dog can have. It's expensive, but I swear by the stuff.
-Croc

Sorry about your luck I think time is the only answer. I got a second dog because I am afraid something like that would happen to me.

Try rimadyl, chew tabs from the vet, anti inflamitory and pain killer. I used them on river for a stick in her foot and it worked great. I quit training but ran her in a couple puppy stakes at field trials and she ran like a million bucks and got two wins. She may not be as bad off however and one has to step back and wonder if we are doing the right thing or if we should be just resting the dog no matter how long it takes to heal. It can be a fine line. But ask your vet and see what they think. And good luck.

Thanks for the support. I have rimadyl that the vet gave me and am soaking in epsom salt. Hes getting a little better each day but its slow. We'll go opening weekend but might not hunt much.Could be Im not missing anything cause the crops wont be out. If he can only hunt for 10 min. a day then thats what I get.

Back