Back Problems

I have enjoyed the state of SD immensely over the last 8 -10 years. Thanks to each of you who have assisted in anyway. We are looking to return next year but I have a slight hurdle to overcome on the way. I have a ruptured disc and a degenerated spine that will require surgery on Feb 2. The docs asked if I was able to move and they could not believe I had made it to hunt in SD. I will have the disc cleaned up, and then metal rods put in to support my spine. Has anyone had this procedure done and could offer me some real world info on the effects of a person that lives a lifestyle heavy on the outdoors side?

I have known numerous people who have had a surgery at least somewhat similar to what you are expecting. I guess the one thing that seemed to be consistent with them is that the guys who followed their doctor's orders and their physical therapist's plan had the best recoveries. Keep moving! Just my observations......I wish you the best:)

Back problems

Sorry to here about the medical issues you are having. I have severe spinal stenosis, arthritis, disc degeneration. I was in the process of scheduling a laminectomy, and am holding it off with spinal injections for now. The only advice I can offer with regards to continuing your SD adventures is to revamp your equipment and "think light". You need to think in terms of reducing compression. I got rid of a brand new Wingworks vest, bought a game belt, bought Irish Setter Havoc boots which are light, got rid of my chaps, bought a Fabarm L4S at 6lbs 13oz, got rid of heavy hunting coat and dress as light as possible. Now I'm gonna pick up a Cynergy Field 20ga at 6lb 2oz. Cut every oz you can and skinny yourself down as much as you can. It made a huge difference for me, and it will for you too. Get the weight off your shoulders. I thought I was done last year, but I hunted for five weeks out there this past fall and winter. Good luck. They are really good at the procedures now. I was in agony for a good while, but now feel good. You will have plenty of time to rehab.

Somewhat in your boat. I ruptured 3 disc's. Had the Lamenectomy distectomy and during rehab my issues returned. Leg going numb and lost 1 1/2" of muscle in my right leg.I also have DDD and spinal stenosis. Went in for surgery #2 to put some metal spacers in my L3-4 and L4-5.Problem was a really wasn't a candidate because of my size, which of course I found that out from Surgeon #2. I was good forwards and backwards but the spacer failed side to side and once again at rehab on the tread mill my leg went dead and severe pain. I then had a 2 level fusion and over a dozen blocks on my nerves and 8 Radio frequency burns to kill the nerves. 3 surgerys in 2 years. I tried to walk but could only muster 1/4 to 1/2 mile and then it took 3 days hooked up to a tens unit and ice and drugs to get over the pain. I figured it wasn't worth it. I have figured out now what my body is telling me and know not to do too much very fast. Slow is the name of the game. Sitting for over 15 minutes and standing for 1 hour still will raise havoc, so I do a little at a time.I missed 3 years with my dogs but I did get out this year and just did a little bit each time. I did 3 small fields each day and not one right after the other. Sometimes I take a break and lay flat, out in the middle of the CRP.Have ice on hand and my tens unit. I have gotten off the Opiads now and hoping I can increase my walking.Everyones back is different, so it is hard to gauge where you will be next season. I can say that I don't wish back issues on anyone. It wasn't much fun just taking a leak for me and everytime I thought I had it licked something else failed.I am not looking forward to my nerves growing back as they can't give me an accurate time when that will happen.Stay positive and if you love to bird hunt it will drive you. There is always blocking but if you have dogs you want to be with them walking. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.:cheers:

Good luck with this. You sound like a fella who's going to hunt no matter what.

back surgery

If you are as lucky as I was you will have few issues. I had my first fusion in 1987 using hip bone and never had another issue. I took a dirt bike fall in 2005 and broke the bone so had it redone with a rod for L4-L6. Again a great result until 2015 and took another big fall injuring L3-L4 disc, surgery went great and I felt new again. Unfortunately as my ortho had been telling me for 30 years, better act your age because your going to hurt yourself and I wont be able to fix you. So 2 months after my latest fusion in April 2015 I decided to load firewood rounds on my trailer. The problem later explained to me is that after multiple spinal fusions other body parts have to absorb any impact or stress as the spines natural shock absorber function is lost with fusions. So this time I injured my SI joints and after two years of chiro, massage, physical therapy, TENS, and multiple steroid injections no relief from violent shocking and sleepless nights. They will try burning the nerves emanating from the SI joints with RF tomorrow.

Bottom line is you should be fine and feel and perform as before the injury, just try to treat your back well after the repair to avoid further injuries. Good luck, you're probably feeling better already if your surgery was 3 days ago.

Update: I had the procedure done and everything seems to going as planned about 10 days later. It was a 2.5 hour surgery, three day hospital stay but I had a great doc who checked on me both day and night and also called me last week just to check on my progress.
The pain/numbness/tingling/deadleg in my right leg is gone. I am still off work for another 2.5 weeks (I work in Education for our state conservation agency and have a job I truly miss) and still very limited in my activities but the only pain or tightness is directly in the surgical site. The Lord has truly blessed us with a family, community, church and friends that have been right there beside us, providing meals, visits, etc and has made the process bearable. Barring setbacks, I should be back to somewhat normal activity with limitations in 2.5 weeks and should be pretty good by turkey season. Will have to watch what I do from now on but guess that is part of it.
I plan to adhere the doc's orders as well as my wife's and am already getting excited to head back to SD next fall - I have five days left from last year's license. Thanks, Chuck

Glad all went well! Keep doing what the doctor says, and we well see you giving us reports from the prairie.:thumbsup:

Great news!! My surgeon was going to take out my spacers when he did the multi level fusion but I was already on the table for 8 hours, so he decided to leave them in. When I woke up I was asking why my darn nipples hurt so bad and that's when they told me I spent 8 hours on the table and he ran out of time to take the spacers out..Nothing else really hurt but those. I am sure everything was doped up around my back still, so I didn't feel that. Keep up the good work!!:thumbsup:

Back Surgery

Good to hear that news. Don't rush the rehab and have a setback. Let the wife bring you your beer for a while. Don't shoot your shotgun till doc says its ok. Maybe start out with soft trap loads. Maybe shoot your 20ga for a while.

Back Surgery

I found this post to be very timely. I suffered from spinal stenosis the whole 2015-2016 season and go in for surgery at the end of February. Hunting this fall was almost unbearable at times especially towards the end of the season. I have been sleeping in a chair for three plus months and that is getting old. I am fortunate compared to some I have talked to at least I am comfortable when I am sitting. Reading these posts has given me hope that I will be able to hunt again. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't hunt pheasants any more. I have made a promise to myself that I am going to follow the Dr.s orders and not push as hard as I have in the past. I hunt with guys that are 20 years younger and was always trying to out walk them. No more, I am going to act my age. I want to hunt many more years so it is time to take care of myself.

Stenosis

I am getting by on a spinal injection for now. Stenois really acted up last spring. Weeks in a chair and on the floor. Leg sciatica pain so bad I wanted to hurt myself. Are you having a traditional laminectomy or a micro laminectomy to open up the canal? I was in the process of scheduling the surgery but am holding off for now. Right leg is weak, but functions. I hunter a preserve yesterday and did ok. I can't keep up with the young folks either, so I almost exclusively hunt alone. I have a good little pointer that works pretty slow so I can mosey hunt and stop when I need to. Good luck on the surgery. A lot of folks Are like new after they have it. Its such a common procedure now the cut men are pretty good at it now. It really helped me to lighten up my gear and get rid of some stuff that i was lugging around.

Stenosis

I tried everything from massage therapy to chiropractor back exercises physical therapy and very little help. I ended up having an MRI that was (agonizing by the way) but showed a bulge in one of the discs and it is pinching a nerve. They referred me to a surgeon and I was hoping that he would give me steroid injection but he didn't think that would be effective for me. I know what you mean about wanting to hurt yourself. I have never ever felt pain like this before and I have a pretty high pain tolerance. Surgery can't come soon enough for me. It sounds like they will remove part of the disc and possibly have to shave some of the bone.

Back pain can feel like the end do not rush into anything ! Surgery is the only option in rare cases . If you have a true disc problem ( impingement ) give it time.
First try a DC who performs a procedure of Cox technique.
PM me for more info.

Mine started a few years back and I was able to get in to see what was termed one the best but most conservative neurosurgeons in the Northeast part of Arkansas. Following a trip to SD at that time I could barely walk but that would be followed by numbness/tingling in my right leg and foot and constant of pain of what seemed to be a pulled hamstring in my left leg. I went in for the initial evaluation and he told me surgery was the last resort. I went thru PT, injections into my spine and a couple of other things and the symptoms subsided little came back this year much stronger and with a heavy dose of sciatic nerve pain. I went back in in about November and had to go to PT before insurance would approve my MRI. Finally got to my MRI and went over to his office and when I walked in a sat down the Nurse Practitioner basically said it looks like surgery is only fix. I went back to hospital for xrays and returned to office and the doc's exact words were - "Chuck if I did not know you any better I would say you are 70 plus Y/O. They set me up a surgery date to fix the disc and insert rods and gave me a few days to think it over. I talked with many folks who had some form of back surgery and what I gathered from that is that if you a solid doctor, follow his protocols and keep a positive atttitude success rates were very high. There were the naysayers who I just did not listen to. I did not seek a second opinion either, I saw in black an white on my MRI and Xray exactly what needed to be done. We did the procedure, the incision is healed, I walked nearly a half mile yesterday and other than the continuing motion and lifting limitations feel like a new person. I still cannot drive for two weeks but I have been surrounded with calls, visits, etc. because they all know how I like to be out and they are there for me. I hope this does help in someone's thought process or I would not share. Maybe we need to get together a "Bad Back" group for a hunt next year. By the way, I think I can start with the 20 gauge mid - April so that will be my turkey gun. Thanks for you guys support.

Back