Average drive time to hunt

Used to be 3.5 hours to the cabin at Chamberlain. We moved from Iowa to South Dakota in September, so now it's a short two hours. One hour to good bird country.

I try to get out 2x a week close to home in South Central MN for about 1-3 hours each, mostly just to work the dog. My goal is to flush a few hens and a bonus if we shoot a rooster. Some days we'll limit out easy, other times I might go an 8 hour stretch over multiple hunts without even firing a shot. But it's enough to keep me coming back for more. I'll leave work an hour or two early, hunt within 5-15 miles of home, and need to get the kids picked up from daycare by 5:00 - so I can't travel far. I take 2 different multi-day trips to SD each year, so those are my "free passes away from home" and therefore I don't do much else hunting in MN that involves weekends or longer drives.

One hour. I live in the Twin Cities west metro. For those of you driving hours and hours heading west or south, you don't have to do that.

One hour. I live in the Twin Cities west metro. For those of you driving hours and hours heading west or south, you don't have to do that.
I have found that if I dont drive at least 2 hours, I cannot shut off work enough to enjoy it. Anything less, and I feel like I should take care of business. Anything further, I tell them they have to wait.

I have found that if I dont drive at least 2 hours, I cannot shut off work enough to enjoy it. Anything less, and I feel like I should take care of business. Anything further, I tell them they have to wait.
2 hours is doable too. Anything more than that makes for a really long day because you'll likely spend more time driving than hunting.

I hunt my own land for bobwhites, in prime quail country. I’m about an hour away from pheasant country. My favorite place to go is about 4 hours away, which is no big deal for a weekend hunt.

Now that I've retired and relocated, about 2.3 hours.

Same. I’d love to go hunt the north woods for ruffs. The prospect of wolves getting my labs scares me though.
Wolves generally don't mess with bird dogs, typically more with hounds either running rabbits or majority bear hounds. Is the potential there yes, but i wouldn't let that stop you from going. I live in the northern lower peninsula and I don't have to worry, do go north of the bridge for sharptials.

This is one reason I'm a springer guy. Wolves know better than to mess with one. (see profile pic for typical vicious springer look) :ROFLMAO:
it is known fact that wolves are Marx Brother fans, so you would be set A5!

Most spots are within a half hour. A couple push that 45 minute distance. I did shoot a sharptail close to home earlier this year, but it is 3 hours to my buddy's ranch where I go to reliably shoot grouse.

Back