Auer Bird Valley Preserve

HeavyC

Little delayed, but since I am going again on Saturday thought I'd get a thread ready!

Went out alone two weeks ago in the frigid cold with just the pups & I, and had a wondrous day! AGAIN! Wound up dogs blew two birds out, but I'll give here a bit of slack THIS TIME! Crazy dog gets more excited for these preserve hunts than wild ones I think. Maybe it is all the scent around or something, but she busted one up a little too far out and then chase him flying away and busted a second one taking them both a mile away so I missed those chances! Doesn't she know how much we pay for these stinking birds at a preserve?!?!:D

Totally whiffed on one, and was following momma a bit too close and never saw her son flush another one that I also had no chance for. SUNOVA!

Again, I cannot recommend this place highly enough! These birds all jumped and FLEW! Always seems to feel like a wild bird hunt when we are there. So we found all six, but my poor skills allowed for only two in the bag.

One very cool thing that happened again, was my yellow boy, Tako...pointed this rooster until I came right up on them! He has had no pointing training whats so ever, and this is now the third time he has locked up on a bird for me. ....Gonna try and take some pics this weekend.

Takoda checkin out his downed quarry!

Awesome! I kept wanting to see your pic, but it was blocked at work. That is excellent that he pointed!

:coolpics:

I haven't been to Auer in 3 years or so ... I probably should look into it soon since we now live only about 8 miles away. Someone in the Mile High Weim Rescue allowed me to tag along on his pheasant hunt with Dakota and that was the start of all of this craziness, almost 5 years ago.

:cheers:

Another wonderful day with Steve and his family at Auer Bird Valley!!

I had some stupid notion I would try and video or picture take during our outing...but I did about as well with that as I have been doing with my shooting! I got one decent flush and shot, but now can't find my camera cable to download it!! :stupid: :banghead:

Was still a glorious morning with a couple of buddies sharing the cold with the pups and I!

We again managed to find all the birds, and one in particular! As we came into an opening we found a red-tail hawk on the ground having a Christmas feast on one of the roosters they planted for us! :dead:

He must have been watching them plant them and swooped in right away since we were also right behind them!

Dogs couldn't have been more happy to be out and about, and now seem to love me again! ...at least for the next day or two!

Takoda again locked up and pointed on a couple of birds, so I just might have to run with this newly found skill he picked up from only God knows where...but hey, roll with it!

The only flush and shot/kill I ended up getting was after one of his points, just as we were back to the truck. We were standing around and noticed Takoda was locked up on a bush right next to the truck. I got the camera out as quick as I could and got the tail end of it as the pups and my buddy closed in. Flush and flew as quick as the Dickens, and my bud Brian stuffed the rear end full of lead! Now if I can ever find my cable I will post it up! DOHHH!

Here is Takoda at home giving some of his trophies a good once over.

Back