Ashley Pheasants

putsy61

Am heading to Ashley, South central North Dakota, Oct. 21 for a hunt. Was wondering if anyone has hunted that area for pheasants this year and what to expect for birds. Last year it was great! Will post after the hunt and thank you for any info.

Putsy

Yes please do post up your trip results. That area and also Wishek are areas I am looking to go to later this season.

Good luck and have a safe trip and hunt! Looking forward to your post and results.:cheers:

Like I promised, here is my report from my trip. There were 6 of us with 6 dogs and we got our birds but had to really work for them. Lots of water all over and the cattails were all under water and the crops were not harvested because of all the water in the fields. If you worked the edges you could get birds but they all seemed really jumpy this year. There were some birds around Ashley but it seemed like West toward Venturia, Zeeland and Hague more birds were found by us. If and when the crops do get harvested, the hunting will be better. Maybe we will make another hunt later after their deer season is over like the first part of December. Lots and lots of ducks everywhere for the duck hunters though. It looked like South Dakota was all flooded too as well as Western Minnesota. We had good weather for our hunt but was raining again when we left. Good luck to all who venture out there but be prepared to hunt for your birds!!!!

Putsy

Thanks for the report, good to know.

Still trying to decide whether I want to try the South Central/SE area or head to the SW where I have hunted many times in the past. Birds are down there too but much drier conditions. I've seen many reports in the SE and South Central are reporting very wet conditions and spotty hunting.

Still have a month before I leave so hoping at least some crops will come out. Interesting tid bit I have learned from friend who was in SD, he said some of the birds have actually been roosting in the unharvested beans??

Last edited:
Back