Are there going to be birds this year?

Yes there will be birds.

there has been more rain, in some places, than in the past few years, so that should help. some places even got flooded, so you have to do your scouting....as usual. there should be a ton of vegetation and weed growth, so lots of cover will make it tough, but good for the birds.

The cover close to our dove hunting spot was outstanding. To a non-farmer, the milo crop looked good as well. We even saw a few pheasants. I'm just bummed that two of my favorite WIHAs are now out of the program.

I just returned from SC/SW Kansas.... We did not see any pheasants. Heard some crowing and saw a few tracks in the road. The cover was very thick. Farmer we were hunting on had been out spraying Saturday afternoon and saw a bunch. He is seeing good numbers of birds. Young birds. He saw several that day that didn't even have color yet and were just starting to feather out. He's been seeing quite a few broods throughout the summer.

What kind of rain did you end up getting so far for the year. I had heard 19 inches through June somewhere close to where your farming in Finney county. Is that right? fsentkilr

Last edited:
This is the most rain I have ever seen out here since moving out west 20 years ago. And it is still raining. We have had rain 6 days in a row now. Most of my farmer friends drill wheat
Sept 15-October 1st so no need to dry out just yet. Bugs everywhere. Milo crop will be outstanding.

Makes me glad to hear the reports of successful pheasant broods! Here in southeast Kansas the wildlife sure seems to be doing well. I've seen several good sized quail and turkey broods, and the spotted fawns are running all over the place!

well, after years of drought, it appears all the rain we have had may not be such a good thing after all. my farm contact says his area had heavy rain in May and there are very few chicks showing up this fall.......you would think that the hens would attempt to re nest, but he has seen a lot of lone hens this summer......the quail are looking good though, as i assume they nest later and sounds like they have done well......his crops are really good, beans, corn and milo are doing well......he has had 7 inches of rain in the past 2 weeks.....of course the rains have been scattered, but some general areas will be impacted.

well, after years of drought, it appears all the rain we have had may not be such a good thing after all. my farm contact says his area had heavy rain in May and there are very few chicks showing up this fall.......you would think that the hens would attempt to re nest, but he has seen a lot of lone hens this summer......the quail are looking good though, as i assume they nest later and sounds like they have done well......his crops are really good, beans, corn and milo are doing well......he has had 7 inches of rain in the past 2 weeks.....of course the rains have been scattered, but some general areas will be impacted.

It may be spotty this year. Out by smithcenter and west all along 36 hiway was hit hard by rain. We rode out that way the first part of August and there was still lots of standing water. Although it had rained recently but the standing water was hint that the ground was still very wet.

Back