Are pheasants canibles?

FCSpringer

Have you seen what these things do to eachother? Pheasants are the most canibleistic things on the planet. I see them eat there dead like its the last meal they will ever have, they rip through eachother like 2 $ tacos. And the others chase the ones with the body parts like they owe them money. I find this strange for such a beautifull bird. Wouldn't wana croak in a Pheasant pen.

I have never seen it. But it is interesting that they would do this. I have seen them eating on the side of the road. But I always thought it was grain blown off the trucks and gravel. Live and Learn I guess.---Bob

FC... about a year ago, we had a discussion on "another site" similar to this. I mentioned that while hunting in North Dakota, an older landowner made a comment to us that there were too many roosters around and when that happens, they start killing the hens. I was happy he wanted us to go shoot a few of his roosters but after thinking about the statement later, I found it curious. Your thoughts?

I've never seen it but can beleive it as the rumor is that the roosters will beat the hens out of critical cover during hard winter months when they tend to bunch up.

For this reason we really put a lot of harvest pressure on the roosters.

We're doing a good job but I am wondering if too good of job because our hen to rooster ratio was really high this year on opener and we normally don't see the skew until after thanksgiving.

The nieghbor thinks it was just a bad hatch this year. Time will tell.

I don't know what happens in the wild but I have seen this in the pen all the time, most every day, Even killing mice and stuff. they do in fact eat meat. I would Imagine they do some similar things in the wild but not sure. I have been told that it is good to have a 7 or 10 hens to 1 rooster ratio for optimal breeding I keep 7 to 1. And it works. I guess the wild birds may benifit from good ratios as well, kinda like manageing a white tail herd or something. I have never wittnessed this behavior in the wild even loging 1,000's of hours bow hunting, but it is worse in the spring say now, in the pen when none of us are sitting out there much watching nature. So it could be this time of year it happens in the wild too. But good luck getting some farmers that don't allow hunting to believe that one. :laugh:

Yeah, I think you guys are right. And I think that was pretty much the consensus on the other site too. Since you were discussing similar behavior, I just wanted to get your take on it. Thanks.

Yes,

Due to global warming and birth control pill residue in the water they are morphing into predators. Soon you will have to fear aerial assaults from above by the pheasants similar to what is happening all over the country with those flying carp, who are taking out fishermen left and right.

Gone are the days when we were able to go out and kill something without the fear of retribution. It's a dog eat dog world and you are wearing milk bone underwear.

Back