APLA Titled Pointing Lab Litter - Denver Area

Steve Chang (http://godfathergundogs.com/index.html) and I bred my female pointing lab, CPR Lankas Labs Air Claire, to GMPR HRCH Black Ice's Super Sonic Scooter MH QAA. Steve is a West/silent method pointing dog trainer who also breeds some excellent Brittanies and Pointers. Steve gets most of the credit for training Claire and says she's one of the most naturally talented pointing labs that he's ever seen. We tried this breeding last summer with a frozen TCI breeding. Unfortunately, our first attempt did not take. For the second attempt, I flew Claire to Chicago for a live breeding. Claire is definitely pregnant! The whelp date is in about two weeks. The puppies will be ready in early June.

Goals for this litter: We expect these puppies to be truly versatile dogs - stellar in the field and the duck blind without sacrificing one for the other. We expect an intense, natural point from these pups, just like their parents. Although we want these puppies to have a strong pointing and retrieving instinct, we don't want labs that point and retrieve well but can't give you more than an hour in the field. To that end, we're shooting for athletic labs that are on the smaller end of breed standard. Scooter is a trim, muscular 67 lbs. Claire is 48-50 lbs. We also want dogs that have an on/off switch, are content watching TV all day but go crazy when it's time to hunt/train, and aspire to be best friends with every stranger. The litter will be approximately 50% yellow and 50% black, as they will come from a yellow (fox red) sire and a yellow-factored black dam. Finally, we want these puppies to be healthy, and the parents have undergone extensive testing to maximize that likelihood.

More details about the parents:

GMPR HRCH Black Ice's Super Sonic Scooter MH QAA (AKC# SR53451004): Scooter has a very strong natural point and comes from a proven line of pointing labs. He's a very unique dog because he's not only a GMPR in APLA testing, but he's also had a very successful career in retriever field trials. Scooter is QAA in AKC retriever field trials. He's currently working towards his FC in AKC field trials and CFC in CKC field trials. Scooter recently won a 5 point open all age stake in Canada, fulfilling his CFC win requirement and putting him 5 points away from his CFC title. I'm told that he would be the second GMPR with a FC and the first GMPR with a CFC. What impressed me most about Scooter as a stud dog is that he consistently throws superior pups with a strong point. One of Scooter's recent litters in my area already has four pups with CPR titles. Scooter has OFA excellent hips and normal elbows, has CERF normal eyes, and tests clear for EIC and CNM. Scooter is 67 pounds, which is an ideal size for a male upland lab. He also has a good off switch when not hunting or training. Please visit Scooter's site for more information on his impressive achievements: http://www.blackiceretrievers.com/our-dogs/males/scooter/.

Scooter's health clearances:

OFA Hips: LR-191692E27M-VPI (Excellent)
OFA Elbows: LR-EL50204M27 (Normal)
CERF Eyes: LR-355672 (Normal)
EIC: D11–008297 (Clear)
CNM: LR-CNM249/28M-VPI (Clear)

Here's a photo of Scooter pointing and another of Scooter showing off:

Scooteronpointat23months.jpg

DSC01219apla-1.jpg

CPR Lankas Labs Air Claire (AKC# SR57029503): Claire obtained her APLA CPR title at only 9 months, receiving perfect scores on her upland test. She has successfully hunted pheasants, bobwhites, sharptails, huns, blue grouse, chukar, white-tailed ptarmigan, doves, ducks, and geese. She is truly a versatile dog. Claire has been a natural pointer since she was three months old. She has a very attractive, intense point that she will hold without a whoa command until you flush the bird. Claire does an excellent job transitioning between different species and showing caution around jumpy wild birds, especially as she has gotten older. She is also a very good retriever and will enthusiastically run marks and blinds and charge into frigid water. At 48-50 lbs, Claire has the size and stamina to run all day. Like most labs, Claire loves people. She's also calm and quiet in the house. Claire is whip smart and was very easy to train.

Here's a video of Claire working, pointing, and retrieving a bobwhite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEe8ZCY_aVQ&noredirect=1. She will maintain the gait that you see in the video for most of the day. As you can see, Claire is steady through flush, shot, and kill. She's trained to sit to flush and retrieve on command. As you can also see, Claire knows how to sort out a running bird.

Claire's health clearances:

OFA Hips: LR-208622E58F-VPI (Excellent)
OFA Elbows: LR-EL62956F58-VPI (Normal)
CERF Eyes: LR-383480 (Normal)
OFA Eyes: LR-EYE3668/58F-VPI (Normal)
EIC: D14-020363-1 (Clear)
CNM: LR-CNM14-176-F-PI (Clear)

A couple photos of Claire:

P1000209.jpg

e18e1485-798d-4090-8256-27ceddb5d7c5.jpg

The litter's pedigree: http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5859

Pick up will be from Denver, CO. I will also deliver pups to DIA for air travel for no additional charge, although the buyer must pay for the air travel, an airline-approved crate, and any other related expenses. A $250 deposit is required to reserve your pick. The deposit is refundable if your choice of sex or color is not available. The deposit is otherwise non-refundable. The pups will be AKC open registered, will have their dew claws removed, will be de-wormed, and will be current on vaccinations. Please contact me if you have any questions. You can contact me (Robin) at 214-507-0653 or robin.lambourn@gmail.com. $1200 either sex or color. Picks will be in the order that I receive deposits. Right now, I have one deposit for a male with no color preference and a second deposit for a black female. I have very high expectations for this litter! Wish us luck on a successful whelping.

Last edited:
This sounds like a great litter and I'd be all over it if I was still looking for a new pup to fill out my PairOfLabs title. Little 5 mo Brady is chewing a bone under my desk as I type this. 3 yr Parker is upstairs sleeping already.
Tom

The vet performed a frozen semen AI breeding on July 8th and 9th. I'm cautiously optimistic that Claire is pregnant. With any luck, the puppies will be ready for their new homes the first week of November, and Claire will be ready for pheasant season!

Unfortunately, the breeding did not take. Claire was showing some signs of pregnancy, but apparently it was a false positive. Thanks to everyone who showed interest. We will try again with a natural breeding, Scooter's trial schedule permitting, on Claire's next heat cycle.

UPDATE - After the first attempt didn't take, we tried this breeding again. Claire flew to Chicago in February for a live breeding with Scooter. Claire is definitely pregnant and due to whelp in two weeks! We are very excited. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Claire had 5 pups on 4/12. She had 1 black male, 2 yellow males, and 2 yellow females. All 5 pups are very healthy and precocious. They will be ready to for their new homes on 6/7. We've been having a good time with them and will be sad to see them go. I still have 1 yellow male available. One of the yellow males will be fox red like Scooter and the other yellow male will be lighter. The guy who has first pick of the yellow males is leaning towards the red dog. Other than color, I can't see much difference between the two yellow males. I like them both a lot. All the pups love to explore and have started flash pointing.

Last pup available:
2015-05-12.jpg

More puppy photos:
IMG_20150512_141633.jpg

IMG_20150510_143850.jpg

IMG_20150510_094030.jpg

IMG_20150509_113303.jpg

IMG_20150504_201918.jpg

Back