Anyone seeing any quail around Emporia area?

I heard one report from down around emporia. It was so good I happen to believe it was fake. If you go I hope you have good luck.

stopped just east of there yesterday to give the dogs one last go before heading home. I was not disappointed.

If quail hunting anywhere in the next few days be easy on them. Weatherman is saying 1-3 inches of sleet and snow mix. Bust the covey once and move on to the next.

Believe it or not but I saw two pheasants within 5 miles of emporia this year. Havent seen a pheasant that far east in many years. My familys farms near ponca city actually are close to having huntable populations if they gain a bit more in years to come.

If you hunted the area 20 years ago, its nothing like it was then, but its better than it has been the past several years. I'm not seeing more coveys necessarily, but I am seeing larger coveys. I've not had one covey flush that made me think I needed to lay off the singles. My crew and I will spend the majority of our vacation quail hunting instead of driving out W for pheasants...that said, if I'd had today off, I would'a headed W to chase roosters and would've left the quail for another day.

Back