Anyone seeing any doves in NW Kansas?

That looks promising! Good job. We’ll probably be hunting wheat stubble with some water close by. If there’s any water to be found. Thanks!

We weren’t really that close maybe 80 miles as the dove flies. We drove around and looked at a lot of stuff yesterday before hunting last night. Hunted the same thing this morning. The hardest part was finding water without cows camped in it. In one area the big ponds were way down. We hunted on another area that must have gotten under a popcorn shower. The roads were rutted and the little ponds had a little bit of water in them

We were quite a ways from Norton, maybe 120 miles. 3 of us shot our limits. I was there early to spray some locust trees, etc., and started hunting about 5. #15 fell at 6:15. My buddy and his son showed up about 6 and they finished up with about 5-10 minutes to spare. We were hunting a pond (big for the area, but not really that big) that had water but was far from full. There was lots of food around: wheat stubble, abandoned wheat, weeds, standing milo about ready to cut, etc. I did see a young-of-the-year pheasant and also heard some quail.

We had good luck in SW Kansas our group of 9 limited out each of the first 3 days Saw lots of birds but it helped that I scouted for 3 mornings and evenings before the opener On a side note I was pleasantly surprised at the number of pheasants I saw while scouting That’s normally my gauge on bird numbers prior to season opener I prefer to go with what I see and know rather than going by what other people may say

As for SEK this season has been my worst in many years, I haven’t been able to put as many miles on my truck as I’d like to either looking for them, hope someone else in area has had better luck

Back