Anyone hunting?????

Wind blew me off the water on thursday so I activated a license and headed to Presho from Chamberlain. Wind was atrocious but I had a deep Creek draw with cattails. :). Dog work was as atrocious as the wind but still shot a limit in an hour and a half. Packed up and headed home. :(

Hunting?

I'm gonna head out one more time next week run the dog for a few days. I was gonna do a little ice fishing up by Waubay too, but geez I'm not sure they have good ice yet. I think that storm they had all melted off, too. Weather is a little strange. We got thunderstorms coming in southern Wis. tonight. I'll take it though. You get near 60 years and winter starts to really suck.

We are home!!!!

Well, here it is. The annual father/son hunt is in the books for 2015. I have been hunting S.D for 25 yrs. and this might be the strangest hunt I have ever experienced.
We started out Thursday with just my son and I, shot a 6 bird limit in a few hours in wild crazy winds ( gusts reported to 46 mph). Saw 500-1000 birds, but they were very wild and spooky. With those numbers I thought that we were in for a great hunt, I was wrong.
Friday we had three father/son combos, hunted a piece that had not been hunted in a month. Deer hunters reported seeing hundreds of birds while deer hunting the property ( 280 acres of Milo food plots with CRP mix), Weather was freezing fog and cloudy, wet. Shot four birds for the day, did not see birds!!!
Saturday same group. Hunted a different piece with similar weather and same results. Finished with 7 birds, again, no birds!!. Starting to feel bad for the boys. My son shoots plenty of pheasants so he understood. but one kid had never shot a pheasant so that was our goal.
Sunday, going to be a short day, because guys want to head out early. Hunted a new piece of property first off this morning ( freezing fog light dusting of snow, wet!!) as I'm pulling up 20+ roosters fly out into a small shelter belt. Things are looking up for the kids!!!! Well that only lasted long enough for one of the largest white tails bucks I have ever seen to spook out of the shelter belt and proceed to run right down the center sending every bird (200+) flying out (lots of swearing). Proceeded to hunt some other shelter belts and the young man who had never shot a pheasant shot a pair of the nicest roosters. (high 5's and backslaps all around). Finished the day with 6 birds.

Conclusion: The weather was horrible, the birds were very uncooperative, but we got to spend some time with our sons and so the hunt was a huge success. This in all likelihood was my last trip to S.D for the year, I feel the birds numbers did not reflect the roadside counts that were reported, having said that we are off to a :cheers:great start for the winter and we could have a great carry over into spring which would make things very promising for next year.

6 of us hunted 5 days last week and shot limits each day. Weather was tough but we dressed accordingly and had a great hunt. Area we hunt was up from last year on bird numbers. Also managed to shoot a coyote too. We were on private land. :)

Back