Anyone hunt at Bong Rec Area?

ddeslau

Went for an hour or so to get the dog some work primarily. We did alright, she had a nice solid point on the rooster in the picture and then located the crippled bird after I winged it. That was all we had an opportunity at but all in all it was a good morning, dog got some exercise, I got to watch her work and shoot my gun.

We worked some cover on the south side of the main road near the ATV trails and the old runway. If anyone has suggestions of better areas at the park that may be better suited to one dog/gun I would appreciate the suggestions.

Bong

Tried for the first time last Wednesday. During middle of week not many hunters were out. Very successful hunt, limited out and found 2 more on the way out of the field. Hunt the heavy stuff and the edges of the heavy cattails and you will find plenty.

I grew up in Burlington, but have been gone for 35 years. I remember hunting Bong once with Dad and an Uncle as a teenager - one time. One time only because we got showered by another group. Dad's already got bb's in his head from a hunting accident years ago and that was enough for us.

We have a lot of relatives and friends in the area who farm and so always had good private ground to hunt. My relatives tell me there are very few birds aroung these days, which is too bad. I have a lot of good memories from those teen years. Up in the dark, my first drink of coffee because I was cold and needed something to warm me up. My first rooster at age 12 over our old setter, Jinx.

Good luck to all of you down in that area.

Back