Anyone going to be out this weekend?

maybe it's the way you hunt?.....and not the dog. how many days in the field before you concluded he was not for you? did you hunt him with other dogs or a pack of hunters?
i don't think we know enough to judge here.....just somethings to think about.

I hunted the dog on 6 different trips before I made a decision, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Tx panhandle.

The dog just wasn’t very good at his job. Yes I love my dogs and I bond with each, but they still have a job to do and they need to do it well. It may be different if I lived in wild bird country and could get more contacts for my dogs and given him more time to come into himself, but I don’t have that luxury. I guess I am just a cold hearted SOB,.

I hunted the dog on 6 different trips before I made a decision, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Tx panhandle.

The dog just wasn’t very good at his job. Yes I love my dogs and I bond with each, but they still have a job to do and they need to do it well. It may be different if I lived in wild bird country and could get more contacts for my dogs and given him more time to come into himself, but I don’t have that luxury. I guess I am just a cold hearted SOB,.

About 20 years ago I bought a German Shorthair off a famous well known kennel who had multiple field champions. The dog was 1 1/2 years old. When I went to look at her she was fantastic on planted birds. He shot multiple birds over here. She had been whelped in his kennel and had been through his training program. I thought great dog. Gave $2500 for her back then. While she had months of training and had lots of bird exposure she had not been hunted on wild birds and had never been exposed to any. When I began hunting here on wild birds I quickly found out she was covey shy. When a covey flushed she would cower and follow behind me. Took her back to trainer. He kept her a couple of weeks and when I got her back same thing. He reluctantly refunded my money. Some dogs just don't work out. Sometimes, when buying a started dog, it is chemistry. Which is why learning how to properly raise and train a puppy is always best.

This is one of the stupidest things I have seen. Life is to short to not have great dogs.

I agree 100%. I also agree with KsHusker about the Garmin changing your life. I broke down and bought one this year for my two year old GSP. He likes to range a little and I was a little uneasy last year a time or two with him. It is so nice being able to look down and see where he's at! He's now figured out when he gets out there 180-200 yards or so and I hit the tone button, he'll turn and come back in closer. At least 3 or 4 times this year he's been in some heavy cover and it's vibrated (letting me know he's on point) and I've walked over 40 yards or so and killed a bird! Not sure how I hunted without one.

Back