anybody try "HV Dakota country Pheasant" loads from runnings?

McPheasant

they are made by Federal,
I picked up a few boxes last summer at Runnings, when traveling west for my business, they were like 11-12.00 bucks a box or something, gave one to my friend/neighbor he loved them, I had good success as well with them, been keeping my eyes peeled for more. who else has tried them??

They're not the only ones doing it, but Fiocchi is constantly changing names of their loads, as well as the boxes. Pretty pictures of pheasants or whatever. "Special" loads just for Runnings or Scheels. I think it's probably so buyers are always thinking it's something new & improved.

I suspect the Dakota Country Pheasant is/was the same as their standard "High Velocity" load, which has also been called "Optima Specific", "Field Dynamics", and probably other names. It's regular lead shot, not plated, no buffer, just your old school standard pheasant load. I've shot them in 16 ga for years & they perform better from my old Sweet 16 than Golden Pheasant. Much better.

My son bought a couple boxes at the Runnings in Aberdeen SD on our way to our hunt this past season. They seemed to work well for him so I bought a couple boxes on our way home.

Federal does not make Fiocchi, but the box I bought at Runnings says ... FEDERAL CARTRIDGE. Think a few years ago Fiocchi did there loads, and sure wish/hope Scheels brings them Fiocchi back as Pheasant Max Plus.PXL_20220308_035800660.jpg

I shot a few boxes and thought they were really good. I still prefer copper plated but only by a small margin

I think they're real similar to Federal HI Bird. Same hull and brass, same velocity. I happened to have some of each and cut one apart. Shotcup and wad are a little different. In my mind they're the same shell and I've had good luck with both.

Attachments

• 20220314_091011.jpg
    20220314_091011.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220314_101612.jpg
    20220314_101612.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
I think they're real similar to Federal HI Bird. Same hull and brass, same velocity. I happened to have some of each and cut one apart. Shotcup and wad are a little different. In my mind they're the same shell and I've had good luck with both.
thanks for the input, I stopped by a runnings store looking for more the other day, I was surprised by the amount of ammo of all sorts they had,(still 2 box max purchase) they did have the "HV's" in 20 ga, no 12 ga, I'll keep my eyes peeled

They are OK. They are federals. The normal heavy game load. Just boxed for runnings. We went through 30 or so cases this past year for trials, training etc. The price is ok. The same feds were always about 8 bucks a box, now15-16 at fleet farm. So 12.99 is a tad cheaper. The shot is pretty rough and not real uniform. I found Fiocchi HV 1,330's so I unloaded all but a few boxes of the DC's. Not the best, but in a crunch they do adequate. You will not find any now other then the 20ga. They are no longer in distribution. Scheels is your best bet now. They have been getting in some of the CCM stuf 1 1/4oz 6's for 11.99 a box. If you can't find your favorites online.

Back