Any Updated Crop Reports for NW Iowa

Open Ranger

Does anyone have an updated crop report for NW West Iowa? We are just a few days from the opener and I am not seeing many crops taken out yet. I know that weather was good this past weekend but with rain today things still could be delayed by a couple of weeks right? Let me know if anyone has an update. Good luck to all you pheasant hunters this weekend! Stay safe and have fun!

Thanks McFarmer,

I have followed your post for years on this site and finally decided I should join in on the fun this year. A small group of us have been hunting in Iowa for years and have been willing to travel across the state to to experience different areas.

Corn is far from all out. I have hunted all three weekends since opener. We were still getting foiled this weekend because of it. Good for the birds but bad for hunting.
In my opinion the pheasant population isnt great. We are struggling with limits and we never did before. We'll soon know if the corn is to blame.
We try to follow the road count regions but one thing noticed on Sunday. Humboldt County Iowa appears to mow the top an 1/4 down the face of every single ditch in the county. What a waste of taxpayer money and habitat. By far the worst looking area in the region. We wont be back.

There will be little corn left by next weekend and all should be gone by Thanksgiving in my immediate area.

Thanks remy3424, I have been doing a lot of hunting this fall and in all the years that I have hunted I have never seen the corn still in the fields through out the Midwest. In the past years I have mainly hunted Iowa but this year I have been to Wisconsin, Iowa South Dakota and heading to Kansas in December. There are birds out there but you really have to work for them this year. I am not seeing hardly any birds from this years hatch which could make an impact on next season.

Open Ranger

Thanks remy3424, I have been doing a lot of hunting this fall and in all the years that I have hunted I have never seen the corn still in the fields through out the Midwest. In the past years I have mainly hunted Iowa but this year I have been to Wisconsin, Iowa South Dakota and heading to Kansas in December. There are birds out there but you really have to work for them this year. I am not seeing hardly any birds from this years hatch which could make an impact on next season.

Open Ranger

Haven’t shot a lot of birds but the 6 I shot were this years hatch.

Once this crop is out they will be much easier to find. CRP is where I have shot most of the 24 I have havest so far. Maybe 6 were not this years hatch. Keep chasing them!

Back