Any reports from SW Nebraska??

huntnfool

Any reports from SW Nebraska? Curious how the cover is looking and if there was a decent hatch? Mail carrier reports didn't look too optimistic.:mad:

Thanks in Advance.

last year was horrible, drought bad again this summer, wishful thinking, i am afraid.
the state paints a pretty picture every year.

I tripped from MN to SW Nebraska 2 years ago, at the behest of pretty much everyone on this forum and the poor mail carrier counts and let me tell you, I wish I hadn't. It was a week of HARD hunting that produced very few opportunities for birds and even fewer birds. A public spot that 2 years prior me and my hunting partner shot a combined 5 roosters and a 1 man limit of quail, we could only kick up one small covey of quail.

It was still great to get out as always, but it was a bummer to see so few birds. I probably won't be back until the drought turns around.

Check out some past posts, but last year really sucked, I mean sucked. Even where we found great cover last year there was very few birds. Other hunters would say I saw a bird over there, but nothing since. Don't know what went wrong but there wasn't much at all last year so the base would be bad for this year.

Last season was the worst I’ve seen it. Lots of walk in fields were either mowed or grazed. Drove a lot of miles to find good cover only to find very few birds. Been debating on even buying a license this year. I’m headed that direction for a farm auction late this month. I’ll report back what I see.

My last report from a local farmer just recently indicated a tough year again. He suggested if you like tough hunting come. If you want birds stay home. He had not started harvesting yet so he said not sure of the bird population but had not seen alot.
Not promising :cry:

Back