Any New Updates Colorado?

LHutch

I'm heading out near Burlington this weekend but haven't been out since the opener. How has it been the past few weeks?

I was out around Yuma and Otis last week and birds were tough to find. I'm heading to Kansas this weekend. Good luck!

I hunted two days last week and the birds were acting pretty spooky. I managed to get two each day I hunted but the birds didn't want to hold or fly, they just kept running. Lots of unproductive points from my GSP's so I know they're out there but they are getting pretty wise. Good luck! This snow should help quite a bit.

I went out yesterday in Yuma County with my young brittany, we saw total of 8 birds. They were running and flushing wild on us.

I was in NE Colorado last Wednesday. 60 degree temps and the brittboy acted birdy only a couple of times. Saw two rosters and one hen, but got no shots.

I was out last week. Only could hunt half a day. Saw lots of birds and they were holding tight. I'm hunting private land though. Birds were in the sunflowers. It was nice to see quail again. Jumped 2 coveys. Talked to the game warden and she said the best hunting was south of Haxtun. I'm amazed at how many doves are still hanging around. I was out there a week earlier calling coyotes and saw 5 dogs. Unfortunately I didn't put any further on the stretcher (I blame it on the ammo):)

Went yesterday, no dogs, walked a ton. Both of these birds held tight in the cattails and made for easy shots.

Lots of runners, wish I had a dog as I know many just let me go by. Figued snow helps when your solo. Lots and lots of hens.

Last edited:
3 of us got out for the day on Saturday. Saw about 75 birds total, but approximately 50 of them were in two big groups. Ended up with 3 roosters. Gorgeous day, good dogs, and great company. Doesn't get any better.

Went out to N. Yuma Cty WIAs yesterday, weather was great, hunting was not. Jumped 2 hens as soon as we got out of the truck, then didn't put up a bird after that. Saw about 15 birds driving around, all on or near farmsteads on private land but most of them roosters. Pretty disappointing. Ran into 2 other guys that didn't have any luck either. Don't know if I'll go back out.

Went out to N. Yuma Cty WIAs yesterday, weather was great, hunting was not. Jumped 2 hens as soon as we got out of the truck, then didn't put up a bird after that. Saw about 15 birds driving around, all on or near farmsteads on private land but most of them roosters. Pretty disappointing. Ran into 2 other guys that didn't have any luck either. Don't know if I'll go back out.

Those days can be very frustrating. I hit CO twice this year. The first time we got skunked. The second time we hunted private land and that was ok. I shot one rooster on it. The last few years I kind of stopped pheasant hunting in CO. To me it's not worth coming home with 1 bird. I tried giving it another go, but the same results every time. Seems we all get excited for a bird or two out here. I've hunted KS, NE, and SD this season and let's just say that the hunting has been awesome!!! Kind of proves the point that nobody has been posting limits or pics at all this season here in CO.

Plus the fact that I seem to always feel like a fugitive out here for just hunting birds. The way farmers perceive us hunters here makes me want to go hunt where they like hunters....SD. :p :cheers:.

Last edited:
Back