Any Bowhunters?

Yankee

Hey Guys,

looking for some advice. I asked this on a few other forums i'm a part of, but I figured I'd pop the question or questions here too just to see what y'all thought.

so last year I upgraded my bow in to the 21st Century. Now i'm trying to decide on a few add ons. What do you guys prefer for a single pin sight? and drop away arrow rest?

Also i'm gonna make the move to carbon arrows this year, the old XX75's have seen a lot of action and killed a lot of deer, just wanted opinions on what y'all shoot and why you like them.

Jake

I hunt deer over bait within 20 yards, so a single pin is my choice for that purpose. If I shot longer ranges I would have maybe up to 3 pins, but not more. I choose to hunt wiht a whisker biscuit rest because it's simple and very unlikely to fail. Any effect that the biscuit has on accuracy within the short ranges that I shoot is outweighed by the confidence that the arrow will release properly. Arrows - once again - I keep it simple. I shoot inexpensive Easton Powerflites with blaser vanes. They do the trick, and they're inexpensive enough that if I have ANY doubts about the integrity of the arrow after a lot of use or nicking another arrow etc... I just throw them out. Broadheads - well that's a whole other story that could make this thread explode, but since you didn't ask (and because I'm not expert), I'll leave it at that.

Our season (Nova Scotia, Canada) opens for the bow for whitetails the second Monday in September. The way that shakes out this year it's later than usual - the 14th. Just the way it falls this year - can't be helped. Looking forward to it!

-Dave

I am an enthusiast, not an expert, but here's my setup.

I have a 3-pin sight. 20, 30, and 40 yard pins. I've never shot a live target over 30 yards, and 90% of deer are shot within 20 yards. The longer pins are just for target practice, but I like having them. I could probably learn to adjust to a single pin, but I figure why bother fixing what isn't broken. I practice on targets at the longer ranges so I feel more confident when I shoot my deer at 20 yards or less.

I have paced off all the objects around my deer stand, so I know it's 18 yards to the sapling, and 30 yards to the stump, 20 yards to the bend in the trail, etc.. So it helps take some of the guesswork out of estimating the range.

I use Cabelas carbon arrows with blaser vanes and also have a few eastons. I like the Cabelas arrows better because the vanes are neon colors. I don't know much about the difference between brands, but I like the bright vanes to help me find the arrow. I've also started using the lighted nocks in the last few years, and they are wonderful. I love being able to see EXACTLY where my arrow goes through the deer when I shoot, and the lighted nock makes it easy to watch the arrow in flight.

I use a whisker biscuit for the same reasons crockett stated. I've had a few friends miss opportunities at a deer because of the arrow falling off the fancy rest. The whisker biscuit is plenty accurate for my purposes, and pretty much foolproof.

I use mechanicals. I've only tried two brands, but have been perfectly successful with both. I retire a broadhead if there is ANY sign of damage after shooting a deer with it. I wonder if many of the mechanical broadhead failures that people complain about are due to dirt, dried blood, bent blades, or dull blades... If it doesn't look and work 100% brand new after I clean it up, it gets retired to the shelf.

Again, I don't claim to be an expert, but that's my setup and it has been very effective for me, so take my suggestions for whatever they're worth... Good luck to you in the upcoming season.
:cheers:

Back