Another season with the hounds

I see Lady is rockin 1 boot. Trendsetter....

Ha! That she is. Cracked a toenail and never lost a step, barely got the boot on before she tore off and had another find.

Had a friend drive out from Minnesota to complete his quail slam this weekend. The pressure was on for me to show him some mountain quail. I decided to meet him up north east ish and give it a go. We didn't tear it up but we ended up moving four coveys of mountains and a couple coveys of valleys and my friend got his slam completed. He ended up with one of the biggest, most pristine mountain quail I've ever seen, it's going to make a beautiful mount.

View attachment 8985

View attachment 8986

View attachment 8987

View attachment 8988

Last edited:
QH?

You're having quite a season! Nice work . The thought of walking those mountains makes my legs ache; You bionic? :)

Have a good year.

QH?

You're having quite a season! Nice work . The thought of walking those mountains makes my legs ache; You bionic? :)

Have a good year.

Not bionic, just young(ish) and gung-ho still. I have to admit that the young setter's zest for the hunt is infectious and I just love to watch her chew up the ground and find birds.

Happy New Year my friend.:cheers:

Last edited:
Had a very frustrating experience at a new spot today. It was covered up in birds but they were obviously heavily pressured and new all the best escape routes. We moved 6 coveys and tons of singles but only had a handful of shots all day.

View attachment 8997

View attachment 8998

Took Lady to a spot I haven't hunted in a while and remember why now, the stick tights we're terrible. Lady found 3 coveys and quite a few singles and I came home with 4 birds.

View attachment 9050

Well that's a wrap, for California at least. Spent yesterday chasing mountain quail and despite Lady having two good covey finds there was no shooting to be had.

Today my brother and I and our pack of mongrels sent the season off in style with a nice day of valley quail hunting.

Is this the end of the 18/19 season for he hounds? Maybe... maybe not.

View attachment 9087

View attachment 9088

Last edited:
Well I couldn't do it, I couldn't let season really be over so I loaded the dogs and headed to Arizona with my dad tagging along. This was my dad's first time hunting over Lady and he got the desert quail slam over her! Roy also got his first off lead run in. All in all a great time despite coming up a scalie short of my quail slam this season. Even got to spend a bonus day hunting Gambel's with my good buddy PTM.

Back