Another Gun Shy Dog

GWW454

I have a 9 month old Brittany that I started shooting over too soon. When the other dogs point he will back run off 50-75 feet and wait for me to shoot. He will retrieve or chase the bird after the bird flushes and I shoot. If he is off in the distance and I shoot he will come to the sound of the gun. He has occasionally pointed and will back other dogs.

your gonna have to get your dog extremely birdy and on the chase. Start with a kids cap gun that you can buy from walmarts. When the dog is on chase and a distance out shot the cap gun,then a 22 and do this for a while until you think he is ready for a louder shot.. Make sure dog is in full chase. Sometimes this things take a lot of time but will be worth it in the end..GOOD LUCK

I recieved a dog out of the pound this way. I am sure oggies recommendation could work. But what I did even though you look stupid. I did a big celebration and acted excited and praised and said come on or whatever. Also you sound like u are in pretty good shape because of the older dogs. With my praise and excitement and the older dogs it was no time at all before she came around. Now she is the first one to the bird and doesnt share. I am not a dog trainer but seemed to work well. I really think the older dogs help and the excitement out of ur voice is very helpful. I wish I remember the words I used but, I just started acting like an excited idiot in the field. Hope noone seen me. By the way it sounds our dogs did the same thing. They just seem more unsure than totally gunshy.

Sounds like your Brittany will come around when he gets older and more confident. We got my friend's Brittany to retrieve her birds by introducing some threatened competition from an unfamiliar dog (who was willing but not allowed) to snatch her bird from underneath her. Maybe as your dog gets older, some competition from a younger inexperienced dog will get yours to do what it already is thinking about doing.

Try making noise a good thing. I started banging on some pots while the dog would eat and then would shoot my sons cap gun after a little while. I have young kids so there is always noise but focused the louder noises while he ate.
In the field you may need to take a step back to a 22 cap gun and only shoot when a bird flushes so his attention is on the bird and start off at a distance.
I would agree you will need to get your dog more birdy. Maybe go back to him just finding and flushing with no pressure of a gun. As he gets more birdy and confident, bring out the 22.

Dog Shyness

Sounds like your Brittany will come around when he gets older and more confident. We got my friend's Brittany to retrieve her birds by introducing some threatened competition from an unfamiliar dog (who was willing but not allowed) to snatch her bird from underneath her. Maybe as your dog gets older, some competition from a younger inexperienced dog will get yours to do what it already is thinking about doing.

Excellent advice. My first dog retrieved better if another dog was present.

sounds like nothing a partner and a couple boxes

of shot gun shells wont cure . have your partner start 100 yards away while your sitting on the tail gate petting your pup and loving him up telling him how good of a dog he is ,have him shoot and move in a little closer each time .wont take long and the pup will realize the shooting wont hurt him. :thumbsup:

Not to sound rude, but the easiest thing to prevent is a gunshy dog. However one of the hardest things to cure is a gunshy dog. I'd suggest you find a good pro trainer and let them work with your dog. If you do try it use birds, birds, birds, and more birds to get your pups excitement up and then start as others have suggested and move along very slowly.

Muddycreek, your being too nice. :mad: You could of said your an idiot or alot worse. Why the hell wouldn't you introduce guns the right way? Its a no brainer!

Back