And the survey says ...

BRITTMAN

wait what survey.

Let's just use antidotal data and assumptions to say wow !

The comments on covid seem strange and out of date. Not one state is limiting hunters this fall. College and pro football games are sold out. SD is not unique this fall except to may California.

With possible record pheasant numbers this year, officials expect businesses will flourish; which will be good news to some of the bars, restaurants and hotels that have struggled.

It seems believable, I am less than 30 miles from SD and I had the best year bird hunting I have ever had here last season. This past winter was way colder and much more snow than the prior one. This spring/summer was again hot and dry, but I am guessing there will be birds here again. Get out there and find them fella! Looking forward to SD rooster reports in 2 weeks now.

Last edited:
wish i was only 30 miles from SD, i spend more time just getting there than actual hunting, you are fortunate.
being able to scout ahead of season helps a lot too, takes a lot of prep time, i usually only get time for a half day of scouting before hunt days.
just part of the deal when you live 14 hours from central SD.

30 minutes away and pheasants aren't even what I shoot when I go there....is there no justice!!!

jeez, I'm 23 hrs. Can leave at 5am on Thursday morning. Pull over catch me about a 5hr nap in Sioux City or somewhere close, wake up and drive a couple hrs and be hunting at 10am on Friday!!!! Do that same routine 3 times each fall. If Iowa keeps on their current trend I'll be one happy camper.

16 hours to our closest places and 18 or 19 to our farthest. Can’t do the old drive all night deal any longer like we used to do so it costs us one extra night in a hotel each way but feel better and safer so well worth it. Can’t wait to get there!

2020 was the best pheasant season in NESD since the CRP contracts expired a decade or so earlier.

As far as COVID, I was asked to help "guide" (I use that term loosely, the guy needed a dog for some clients and I said yes because he is a family friend), but the hunters cancelled due to COVID fears. Which was the Lord telling me that I really wasn't meant to take part in anything like that. ;)

Lockedncupped...you are in my backyard when you are in Sioux City. There is some public you can find just south of SC, was down there once 2 years ago, late in season, I do think it gets hunted often...not a ton of public ground to choose from. Reach-out if you are passing through on a weekend and haven't had luck elsewhere. I think you travel with a dog, which is good, I had to get a new dog, so my current 4 month old GSP won't be a lot of help this season. My buddy's GSP will get heavily relied on this season.

16 he drive for me from SW Ohio, meeting up with bro-inlaw and his crew from north Alabama about a 22 he drive for them. Leaving early Friday morning and hunting on the lower brule res. My 1st trip after many years of wanting to go. Never could get the time off. Now retirement and time to try out the Sd pheasant hunting. Can't wait!

I guess I wont complain about the 8-9 away that I am! Some of you cats are in far away time zones
And my wife complains that I'm gone too long when I leave home at 4:00-4:30am on Thursday, get to central SD by 9:00-9:30, hunt all day Thursday - Saturday, then leave SD at sunset on Saturday, back home by midnight for a full family day with our 3 young kids on Sunday before starting another work week.

Back