Ames Area ?

All, my oldest attends Iowa State and I'm looking for a reason for a visit. How is the hunting on the publics within a 1 hr drive/radius of Ames. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole but general thoughts if I might bump into a bird or two. I'd probably be going late season after Dec. 12 when you can get the two for one special on license.

Thanks,

ogden and the jefferson ares have some good public land that can hold late season birds we drive up there about 2-3 times a year and usualy have some luck.

I went late season last year and was told the 2 for 1 license was a thing of the past. The place I bought my license even called the DNR to check.

Don't let that stop you. The birds need exercise, too.:)

Ummmm, isnt that reason enough to visit?:eek:

No matter where I go I try and make a hunting trip out of it. Good thing my girlfriend hunts and is okay with a day trip most of the time. Going to Denver in a week going to try and find some ringnecks that way.

When are you coming? I'm in Des Moines and if I'm in town we can try some spots I've found birds. I don't know much about north of town. Do most of mine about an hour east or 3 hours south west of Des Moines.

Back