All Hail the Mighty Ditch Hunter

With cover-thick ditches like those, legal access, and the countryside to yourself, as far as the eye can see, why wouldn't a person hunt those ditches? Beautiful, and obviously productive that day.

What was the approximate range on that third shot?
About 30 yds.
2nd bird was maybe 22-23 yds.
1st one had been a left-to-right crosser at about 40+ yds. We'd just started hunting & I was paying attention to other things a little (not 100% attention to Ace) & he got tracking a bird quickly down the ditch before I noticed & ran to keep up with him. Flushed the bird at 25-30 yds. It flew almost perpendicular to the fence, but actually a bit back toward me. There's a big slough out there he was heading for.

Last edited:
Ditches are enticing but I've seen so many bad situations where my dog would be in danger that I can't make myself hunt them. A pheasant is not worth a good dog. A couple of years ago my wife and I were hunting a WIHA in Kansas. It was bounded on one side by a county road. We hadn't seen a vehicle all day, but just as we got to the edge of the road a sheriff's vehicle came over the hill so fast his wheels came off the ground. That picture has never left my mind. Good luck to those that choose to hunt ditches. Please be careful!

Back