Alfalfa in road ditches

UGUIDE

I see some volunteer alfalfa growing in my road ditches and I hear that is good stuff for nesting. I'm just thinking of taking 4 wheeler and broadcast seeder and broadcasting a bunch of alfalfa seed in all my road ditches.

Figure the diversity would be better than straight brome grass, good for insects and better for nesting.

When do you think best time to seed would be? I suppose maybe a frost seed in early spring/late winter? Any downsides?

I see some volunteer alfalfa growing in my road ditches and I hear that is good stuff for nesting. I'm just thinking of taking 4 wheeler and broadcast seeder and broadcasting a bunch of alfalfa seed in all my road ditches.

Figure the diversity would be better than straight brome grass, good for insects and better for nesting.

When do you think best time to seed would be? I suppose maybe a frost seed in early spring/late winter? Any downsides?

Keep in mind that most county roads and some township roads are sprayed for noxious weeds every spring. The spray they use will typically kill alfalfa. Sometimes you can put up a "no spray" sign to keep them from spraying your ditches but then you will be responsible for any noxious weeds that may grow. Other than that, its a very good idea.

I do not know how much luck you will have with broadcasting the seed. Once the grass is established in the ditch it will not easily allow other stuff to grow.

Back