Alfalfa growing questions

Wiley Rooster

If I were to establish alfalfa strips throughout my land for upland game like pheasants… Can a guy plant alfalfa and not mow it at all? Will it choke itself out? I want to plant 90 foot strips for brood cover on the edges of my grass stands. My land is in southwest North Dakota. Any thoughts or experience with growing alfalfa is much appreciated.

I might think about a mix of alfalfa and red/white clover. The alfalfa would be something like Matrix and Ladino for the white clover. Some type of bunch grass would work in with it also. Lots of good food for birds in that mix, bugs also.

It doesn’t take well to burning if you ever do that. Might want to check to see if Matrix is winter hardy in your area. Spredor II would be another. Most any spreading alfalfa.

I might think about a mix of alfalfa and red/white clover. The alfalfa would be something like Matrix and Ladino for the white clover. Some type of bunch grass would work in with it also. Lots of good food for birds in that mix, bugs also.

It doesn’t take well to burning if you ever do that. Might want to check to see if Matrix is winter hardy in your area. Spredor II would be another. Most any spreading alfalfa.
I really appreciate your response Mcafarmer. I am thinking just straight round up ready alfalfa. Even though the cost is more for the seed I am able to spray it with roundup when the thistle plants are small. We have a Canada thistle problem. If I were to use milestone the alfalfa and clover would be no more. My main question and in my earlier email I did a poor job of asking it.. is if I do establish round up ready alfalfa strips for brood cover can I just let it be? Does it have to be mowed or cut through a year to keep the stand strong with alfalfa. I see alfalfa being cut for hay at different times throughout the year. I don’t need hay. I just need little pheasants thriving in the brood cover that alfalfa provides.

My suggestions on the various species was intended to address the eventual problem of keeping weeds out. If you are going with Rup alfalfa then that will not be a consideration.

Stand life should not be a problem, I have alfalfa in some CRP that is at least 15 years old, it probably has reseeded itself.

The winter hardiness of RUP alfalfa might be a concern, it is geared towards high production environments which require frequent rotations. You would want to check that out and select a variety that has good fall dormancy and winter hardiness. A seed supplier would be able to direct you to suitable varieties.

My suggestions on the various species was intended to address the eventual problem of keeping weeds out. If you are going with Rup alfalfa then that will not be a consideration.

Stand life should not be a problem, I have alfalfa in some CRP that is at least 15 years old, it probably has reseeded itself.

The winter hardiness of RUP alfalfa might be a concern, it is geared towards high production environments which require frequent rotations. You would want to check that out and select a variety that has good fall dormancy and winter hardiness. A seed supplier would be able to direct you to suitable varieties.
Great advice. I will talk to the agronomist at Milborn Seeds to find out those good questions you have brought to my attention.

Back