Albino quail

birddude

Just wondering. Has any of you guys killed any strange colored quail? The one on the left I call a yellow phase quail. I’ve seen four of these. The first two a buddy and I killed in the 70s and plucked and ate! The third one Wound up in my parents freezer and my mom finally got tired of it and threw it away after about 10 years. I finally had that one mounted. that’s the last one I saw. All four were from the same county. I don’t know what you would call the other one, piebald? Partial Albino?

Attachments

• 3ADB375C-5B8D-413E-8E73-B350CF286269.jpeg
    3ADB375C-5B8D-413E-8E73-B350CF286269.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 2FED6FB2-5005-4924-8D3D-01B368113583.jpeg
    2FED6FB2-5005-4924-8D3D-01B368113583.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
Without a photo this story doesn’t do much good but there are a few online, a few years ago I killed what is known as a blob. Blue and bobwhite hybrid! Didn’t realize what I had until I got home and started cleaning my take. It had traditional scaled feather pattern and size of a blue with the color of a bob.

Those are nice birddude! I see about 4 quail a decade it seems, doubtful I will have the opportuntiy at an usual colored quail...straight to the taxidermist if I would score something unusual. A member here harvested a great rooster with white tailfeathers...he is waiting for his taxidermist to get to it, the last I knew...I am waiting for my taxidermist on a trio of roosters also, just nice older birds, one has a little "extra " spur. I have only seen one unusal colored pheasant in over 45 years of chasing them, my cousin got that one, he has it mounted. My guy says he can't get "pheasant eyes" right now...so I wait.

Those are nice birddude! I see about 4 quail a decade it seems, doubtful I will have the opportuntiy at an usual colored quail...straight to the taxidermist if I would score something unusual. A member here harvested a great rooster with white tailfeathers...he is waiting for his taxidermist to get to it, the last I knew...I am waiting for my taxidermist on a trio of roosters also, just nice older birds, one has a little "extra " spur. I have only seen one unusal colored pheasant in over 45 years of chasing them, my cousin got that one, he has it mounted. My guy says he can't get "pheasant eyes" right now...so I wait.
I have shot some unusual pheasants also but they were pen raised. I saw that one you referred to. Definitely a trophy. I’ve seen two completely albino quail. I screwed up on the first one and told someone where I saw it. Later on I found out someone went after it without a dog and crippled it couldn’t find it.The second one I saw it once and never saw it again. I also learned something about taxidermist. I shot a red phase grouse. They weren’t rare but they were hard to come by. Gave it to a guy who was practicing taxidermy but not professionally. Never saw it again! And never saw another red face again!

Back