Advice

findthatbird

I'm from the Midwest, and an avid pheasant/deer hunter and fisherman who will likely move to Colorado in the next year. In fact, I'm heading to your great state to scout the Ft. Collins area and Co. Springs area in a couple of weeks. As a sportsman, which area would you prefer and why?

Any advice is welcome.

I would recommend the Ft. Collins area, although either is a great choice. I now live in the Denver Metro area, but I lived in Ft. Collins for 10 years. Great small city with plenty of access to public lands. The Cache La Poudre is still one my favorite rivers in the state for trout. Easy access to the Eastern Plains for birds. Plenty of national forest land to the west for deer.

where to go

i picked my college based on where i could be near great hunting, fishing, skiing, and golf. boulder was the only one that qualified at the time. if you go to the fort collins area you will be closer to better escape routes to do your hunting and fishing, think the town is by far nicer also. not even close on that one

cheers

Fort Collins no doubt.

I would say you are going to have to travel a couple/three hours from either city for birds. I know guys that deer hunt/fish in the springs and seem to think we are in a good area also. If your work allows you to live in either city than I would say you need to visit each city/area and make a decision. Only you know your personnel likes and dislikes. Hunting area is only a piece of what you need to consider.

I would say Ft. Collins too. I think you'll be a little closer to good pheasant land than Colorado Springs. And I'm pretty sure there are quite a few more pieces of public land further north, as well as more farmers to ask permission to hunt on their land.

Back