Advice for a hunt this weekend.

vonny571

Hey guys. As I said earlier, I don't post often, but enjoy reading all of your stories and reports. I need some advice for this coming weekend. My dad is thinking about coming down from Nebraska Thursday evening and we are wanting to head west for some hunting Friday. I haven't spent much time exploring since I moved down here two years ago, so my question is, how far west do we need to go from Junction City area to be in a decent area. I have a funeral that I need to attend Saturday, so distance is a bit of an issue. I'm not expecting people to give up hot spots or anything. I would just like to know that we are heading to an area that has birds in it. We will probably be hunting all Walk In. I'm kind of wondering about Osborne county, because of the amount of WIHA tracts there and because it is a comfortable driving distance. Is there are decent chance at finding a few birds in this area, or should we keep looking west. I know the pat answer is the further west you go, the better it gets, and if I had the time that's what we would do. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I have hunted Osborne county and further north you went the better the hunting. So I would stay as north as you could. I had friend come back from Beliot and they did really well up there.

zeepo

stayed in beloit this past weekend and did ok around the motel but did a lot better in northern jewell county, as far as seeing birds, but as far as killing now thats a different story! :thumbsup: ha

Thanks for the responses. We might have to check out some of the Walk In in Jewell County. I'll try to let you guys know what we find.

Well, we had an interesting hunt. Spent most of the morning driving around and eliminating WIHA that had marginal cover at best. After lunch did quite a bit better. Pointed close 25 hens, but not a single rooster in range. Did have a few flush wild, but no shots fired. Actually saw most of the birds in northern Mitchell county.

Back